Google voice number

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
If I am using my number and I call or text through google voice

the person receiving the call or text does he see my real number or does he see another number

by real number I mean the number that verizon gave me like my real phone number

I think you can add another line to google voice with a different number but thats not what I am asking

to clear it up one more time

If I use my verizon phone number on google voice and I call/text a friend what number will show up on his phone?

VicMatson

Reaction score
If you download the GV app, it will do whatever you want. This includes people that text you from their call list. In that case it texts GV and you will get an alert on your droid if it's enabled. And oh yet it and the text is free!

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
So you are using the google voice app to send the text messages?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Yep.........

So I just checked this and always thought my GV number would come up on the other person's phone. Turns out my VZ number shows up. So I would make sure to tell people to text you back on the GV number. Just have them add it as a secondary number in their contact list for you.

VicMatson

Reaction score
Yep.........

So I just checked this and always thought my GV number would come up on the other person's phone. Turns out my VZ number shows up. So I would make sure to tell people to text you back on the GV number. Just have them add it as a secondary number in their contact list for you.
No, not so, go into settings in your Android/GV app on your Droid and select the first option. If you call someone for the first time they will never know that they are calling a GV number, and if they text that number you will get the text on your GV/PC app and your GV/app on your droid with an alert that looks like a phone receiver.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I am using my number and I call or text through google voice

the person receiving the call or text does he see my real number or does he see another number
Depends on how you have GV set up. See below:

So I just checked this and always thought my GV number would come up on the other person's phone. Turns out my VZ number shows up.
Then that's how you have GV set. You can choose to have it use GV to make all calls, not use GV to make any calls, only use GV for international calls or ask you every time you make a call. If it's not doing what you want then check your GV settings*. I have mine set to always dial out on GV since I have intentionally not given out my VZW number.

* GV app->Settings->Making Calls

Last edited:
OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
So in short I can set it up so that if I texted or called someone in google voice my verizon number will show up and if they reply to that text it would have my from: my verizon number

VicMatson

Reaction score
So in short I can set it up so that if I texted or called someone in google voice my verizon number will show up and if they reply to that text it would have my from: my verizon number
No, I think you are confused. Please just try the GV settings on your droid. Believe me you're making a bigger deal out of this that I've ever seen...especially without listening to anyone by trying it.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
No, I think you are confused. Please just try the GV settings on your droid. Believe me you're making a bigger deal out of this that I've ever seen...especially without listening to anyone by trying it.

well I am planning on buying google voice off of ebay and I don't know if should

I will only buy if it allows me to let my verizon number show up on other peoples phones

VicMatson

Reaction score

well I am planning on buying google voice off of ebay and I don't know if should

I will only buy if it allows me to let my verizon number show up on other peoples phones
Why buy it, google "google voice" and invite yourself(please just read and follow the directions), that will give you a phone number for life! You can then get gv through the market on your Droid and check thruugh settings, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it will do what you tell it to, just read! If you don't like it uninstall it from your droid.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can. To summarize:

• If you set it to ask for each call then you'll get to decide on a per-call basis if your GV or VZW is used for the call.
  • If you text via the GV app, the message is sent via your GV number
  • If you text via the stock or any other (non-GV) app, the message is sent via your VZW number

OyVOid

Reaction score
IMO, the whole point of having Google Voice is that it's free. You are getting another number without Verizon charging you for another line. There's really no point in paying for something that you can get for free.

In the Settings>General section, you can go to Caller ID and select:
Display caller's number or Display my Google Voice number.

It's just a matter of experimentation to see what works and doesn't for you.