Uh oh. This is not a good start.

Pepperoni

Reaction score
I am attempting to switch from a BlackBerry Bold 9650 which of course is a 3G and the contract has been up for a while now (about a year, actually), to my pre-owned Droid 4 which I just bought a few days ago from a third party. Tried to activate it online at VZW and notification popped up that it is incompatible with my current data plan--which is unlimited. I was told by multiple sources that if I brought my own device to the table, as long as it was a Verizon phone I could activate it and not be forced to change my plan, which is the reason I went with this used device to begin with. Now VZW wants me to select from a tiered plan? Why? Is it because I'm going from 3G to 4G? Or because I have no SIM card? Tried to chat with a rep but "all reps are busy, try back later" so I thought I'd get input here.

Thanks.

kwyrt

Reaction score
I am attempting to switch from a BlackBerry Bold 9650 which of course is a 3G and the contract has been up for a while now (about a year, actually), to my pre-owned Droid 4 which I just bought a few days ago from a third party. Tried to activate it online at VZW and notification popped up that it is incompatible with my current data plan--which is unlimited. I was told by multiple sources that if I brought my own device to the table, as long as it was a Verizon phone I could activate it and not be forced to change my plan, which is the reason I went with this used device to begin with. Now VZW wants me to select from a tiered plan? Why? Is it because I'm going from 3G to 4G? Or because I have no SIM card? Tried to chat with a rep but "all reps are busy, try back later" so I thought I'd get input here.

Thanks.

Interesting. From everything I have heard if you bring your own device or buy outright you shouldn't be forced to change you're plan since you are not renewing your contract. That being said, it very well could be because you do not have a sim card. You will probably need to take it to a VZ store in order to get a sim card and just have them activate it while you are there.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Did you try going to a Verizon store and swapping your devices? You will have to get a 4G SIM card (free) but they should be able to swap you over.
You can not activate a 4G phone online if you have a 3G phone currently.

OP
P

Pepperoni

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. That answered one of my questions--which was how much am I going to have to cough up for a SIM card? For the rest, I plan to go to a Verizon store and see if they can give me some assistance.

Big D

Reaction score
I get the feeling they will try anything to get people to cough up their unlimited plans. They are the bain of Verizon's existance and they're looking for any reason they can to end them. Moving from 3g to 4 g devices, IIRC, you're screwed. Upgrade a device? SOL.

My favorite is how they try to tell you it's in your best interest - like they're doing you a favor. Yesterday, I had some eager little douche spend 30 minutes running the numbers refusing to admit that I will be getting far less and paying far more. After several attempts, he gave up and said that yes, I, was getting screwed. But the vast majority of people are gonna come out better. What. Ever.

If they haven't figured out a way to pry those Unlimiteds away, they're going to soon.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just go to Verizon. I had a co-worker who purchased a used Droid Razr and he took his 3G Droid Incredible in and swapped the Razr to his account....still keeping his unlimited data but now on a 4G phone.

OP
P

Pepperoni

Reaction score
So I went to Verizon and "Ryan" who was a nice young man was able to get me a SIM card, get my new phone activated, get my contacts switched over, etc. I was also able to keep my unlimited data plan . . . for now. I expect the unlimited data plans will go the way of the dinosaur sometime next summer or so, when the last of the people under contract have their contracts expire and they are no longer grandfathered in.

This is a VERY confusing phone though. I have accessed the manual online but this is going to take me a while.

steeletown

Reaction score
As of right now the only way you can lose your unlimited is, if you upgrade your phone using the discount pricing. Now there are ways to get around this, it's been talked about a lot in these forums. But if you you pay full price are buy it from a third party like you did, you will get to keep your unlimited.

OP
P

Pepperoni

Reaction score
Well, yes, the key words are as of right now. However, I was told by the Verizon rep who activated my phone that if you activate online like I was originally trying to do, the default on the website is to make you select from a tiered plan and the option to keep the unlimited does not exist. You can't go any further in the process until you select a different plan--which jives with what I experienced. Since I went in person to the Verizon store as was suggested further up this thread, I was successful in keeping my unlimited data plan--for now.

Actually VZW is currently under no obligation to allow anyone (except those still in their two year contract) to keep their unlimited plan. The ability to keep your unlimited plan for those not under contract exists solely at VZW's whim and could be canceled this afternoon.