Uh oh! lost most of my contacts when switching to liberty

Osbor

Reaction score
i recently (yesterday) switched the liberty 2.0.1 from stock blur 2.2, talk about a world of difference, mostly in speed and stability. I used a titanium backup to restore all my apps and settings

anyway, i only just noticed that most of my contacts are gone! I had assumed those would be ported over with the titanium backup, but no dice.

what are my options for getting the contacts back?

BoJatey

Reaction score
i recently (yesterday) switched the liberty 2.0.1 from stock blur 2.2, talk about a world of difference, mostly in speed and stability. I used a titanium backup to restore all my apps and settings

anyway, i only just noticed that most of my contacts are gone! I had assumed those would be ported over with the titanium backup, but no dice.

what are my options for getting the contacts back?

Open phone, touch Contacts tab, touch menu button at bottom left and select import from SD card. There may be a vcf file you can import, maybe not. In the future this is how you save before you flash. Just export before and import back when you're done.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
O

Osbor

Reaction score
nope, already tried to import from SDcard a while ago, no dice
again, i thought this would be automatic with titanium backup, apparently not

although i think i remember backing up my old rom when i switched over (using the liberty toolbox backup system)...
would that rom backup be visible within clockwork recovery?

HHRLLC

Reaction score
Your problem has to do with Verizons backup assistant. For some reason when you first get your phone and use that program to transfer your contacts it doesn't sync with your Google account. This happened to a friend of mine. He had to restore his backup and sync his contacts with Google. You just want to make sure all of your contacts are in your Google account before you flash another rom. Then when you sign to yor Google account (after you restore your apps with titanium backup) your contacts will sync.

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my advice would be to jump on your pc and get to the my verizon website. once you sign in there you can get to the backup assistant section and export a csv of your contacts either straight to the contacts section at gmail or in to your phone.

cjriddle22

Reaction score

although i think i remember backing up my old rom when i switched over (using the liberty toolbox backup system)...

Titanium does not back up contacts, it is for apps and system settings. You need to make sure your contacts are synced with your google account. Then anytime you install a ROM, google will put them all back for you (market apps too). When you first install a ROM (or SBF) it asks you if you want google to back up your info on their servers, select yes and you should be good to go.

OP
O

Osbor

Reaction score

Titanium does not back up contacts, it is for apps and system settings. You need to make sure your contacts are synced with your google account. Then anytime you install a ROM, google will put them all back for you (market apps too). When you first install a ROM (or SBF) it asks you if you want google to back up your info on their servers, select yes and you should be good to go.

but this is exactly what i did. i specifically set up my google account to sync all my stuff a long time ago and i always keep the sync system active.

i'll try that my verizon trick mentioned earlier.

cjriddle22

Reaction score

but this is exactly what i did. i specifically set up my google account to sync all my stuff a long time ago and i always keep the sync system active.

i'll try that my verizon trick mentioned earlier.

So are your contacts there when you log into your gmail account? If they are and you are syncing them with your phone, it should only be a matter of time. Did google sync any of your market apps?

Yeah I had to use the myverizon/backup assistant method once. Just export them and then import into gmail, they should sync up. I believe you have to be the primary account for backup assistant to store them on the my verizon site though.

OP
O

Osbor

Reaction score
So are your contacts there when you log into your gmail account? If they are and you are syncing them with your phone, it should only be a matter of time. Did google sync any of your market apps?

Yeah I had to use the myverizon/backup assistant method once. Just export them and then import into gmail, they should sync up. I believe you have to be the primary account for backup assistant to store them on the my verizon site though.

yes, it restored all my google contacts, but that was only 6-10 of them, i had about 40.
and yes it did restore my market apps

having to be the primary line for backup assistant to work is worrying though. But that's strange since i remember setting up backup assistant when i first got my droid X....

zwade01

Reaction score

yes, it restored all my google contacts, but that was only 6-10 of them, i had about 40.
and yes it did restore my market apps

having to be the primary line for backup assistant to work is worrying though. But that's strange since i remember setting up backup assistant when i first got my droid X....

One possibility that the rest did not get restored is that you may indeed have set up your gmail account to sync contacts but when you added new ones as time went on maybe you hit "phone" instead of "google" as how to save your new contact. My wife had a habit of doing that and once I put a new rom on her phone she was missing about 40-50 contacts. I just restored her backup, fixed the problem, and went forward from there. Anyway, hope you figure it out!

OP
O

Osbor

Reaction score
One possibility that the rest did not get restored is that you may indeed have set up your gmail account to sync contacts but when you added new ones as time went on maybe you hit "phone" instead of "google" as how to save your new contact. My wife had a habit of doing that and once I put a new rom on her phone she was missing about 40-50 contacts. I just restored her backup, fixed the problem, and went forward from there. Anyway, hope you figure it out!

awwwww crap, that must have been it. i vaguely remember the add new contact dialogue box, and telling it to save on my phone instead of google (For some reason)
but the verizon backup assistant should have caught that. i can't log my verizon now, perhaps tomorrow.

but wait, if i made a backup of my rom before switching to liberty (i thought i did, but cannot be sure) how exactly would i restore that backup?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you made a full system backup then you can restore it by booting im to clockwork recovery and navigating to backup and restore and choosing restore.

tappin and a talkin

OP
O

Osbor

Reaction score
well, whenever i try to use backup and restore within clockwork recovery, it says backup not found.
damnit