Ubuntu Phone OS Available for Download in February for Galaxy Nexus Owners

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
ubuntu-phone.jpeg

At a press event held in London last week, Canonical's Alan Pope said an installable image of Ubuntu for the Galaxy Nexus handset, along with its source code, will be released "late February." Demoed on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus handset, the operating system wasn’t complete, but early hands-on reports were very positive. So why the delay? According to Canonical’s Richard Collins, the delay is to allow them time to “maximize all the attention we want to gain with it.“ In other words, they want to impress the masses right out of the gate. Before we get ahead of ourselves though, we must add that the image will not be feature complete. The core features of the phone; messaging, calling, camera, etc, are up and running quite well, buts the key parts of the Ubuntu Phone experience (voice controlled HUD, app store) don’t even exist yet, or are far from complete (webkit-based web browser.)

Galaxy Nexus owners, are you going to be taking the Ubuntu OS plunge?

Via: OmgUbuntu

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I heard they were having issues with getting the voice commands to work... I think once they get that this thing will be AWESOME!!! I have heard it is supposed to be very very fast.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ill try it ...

azdrifter

Reaction score
Well I'm down for trying anything once, so long as it is not like the PC install and you can not revert from it once installed. But I have always been a fan of the Ubuntu OS i just think that it could be more user friendly but from the video I have seen the OS for mobile phone seems pretty nice i will give it a try. Will it replace Android ? who really knows but it is always nice to have a variety to satisfy every consumer.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i would try it ..

Reaction score
Guess Android will be a thing of the past soon...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'll be taking the plunge at some point, although I don't think it'll be next month. I'll give them a few more months to iron out all of the kinks before I hop on board. I've always been a little apprehensive about being an early adopter, because it seems there are unforeseen issues that always crop up. Once the dust settles, however, I'll be backing up my current setup and installing Ubuntu OS on my Nexus.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind dabbling on Ubuntu phone! I love Ubuntu for analog video transferring and it's great I just hope that they'll get it done right! I also hope that us the users will be able to help them the way android users help android.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
A “low end” Ubuntu Phone will require, at a minimum:
  • Dual-core A9 ARM Processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 4GB Flash Storage + SD
  • 800×400 WVGA Screen
  • Multi-touch
Thats not such a low end device....IE 1 GB of ram. Pretty much has to be a device within the last year. Must be a resource hog if it HAS to have 1gb ram. thats not a good thing.

comk4ver

Reaction score
You should read the new article on Engadget regarding their first phone and that they want to push out a high end Ubuntu phone.