Ubuntu Will Be Available For Galaxy Nexus in Late February

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ubuntu-for-phones.png

If Android's semi yearly updates aren't enough to keep your device completely fresh then Canonical has just what you need. They will be releasing Ubuntu for phones starting with the Galaxy Nexus in late February! This will probably release for HSPA+ devices only since Sprint and Verizon's proprietary code can often cause issues, but the source code will be released publicly so there is no limit to what the development community will be able to do with it. We should see versions for LTE soon after it releases. The OS will be distributed in an unfinished state so there may be a few bugs at first like with all software releases. Basic phone functionality should work at release!

Via Phandroid

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't wait. Definitely going to give it a shot once they get the VZW version going

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wonder if my wife will let me "tinker" with her phone. If not, I'll just steal it, put it on there and see how long it takes for her to notice. =D

jspradling7

Reaction score
Wonder if my wife will let me "tinker" with her phone. If not, I'll just steal it, put it on there and see how long it takes for her to notice. =D

And how big is that dog house you'll be living in? :p

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

Here's hoping you can do a Nandroid if she does notice. I can't wait for this, something completely different for my Nexus!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Here's hoping you can do a Nandroid if she does notice. I can't wait for this, something completely different for my Nexus!

Ya, I already have her on CM10. I'd definitely make a nandroid, copy it to my PC and then monkey around with it. That way it can always be undone.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'll definitely be giving this a go once it's been released and refined a bit. I already run Ubuntu on my laptop at home, so the prospect of running a version of the OS on my phone is also really enticing!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I wonder if the released videos are with hardware acceleration enabled, if so the ui is too unresponsive for any real world use initially.

Here's hoping acceleration was not working.