[Tutorial] Replacing built-in ringtones (root required)

eMWu

Reaction score
I've been looking for a way to keep my custom ringtone, regardless of the sd card I'm using and if it's accessible at the moment. So I figured out an easy way to do this and I thought I'd share it.

1. Convert your ringtone to ogg format (for example with fre:ac)
2. Copy the ogg file to your sd card
3. Download and install this app: Mount /system (rw / ro). Run it and click "Mount r/w".
4. Open a file explorer with root support (like Yaffs Explorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones/
3 & 4 can be done with just Root Explorer/SU File Manager & Terminal (I think), but they're not free.
5. Pick a ringtone you want replaced - for example Cairo.ogg. Rename it to Cairo-old.ogg and then copy your custom ringtone to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ and rename it to Cairo.ogg

Now your custom ringtone will be available in the phone's sound settings under the replaced one's name.

This should also work with alarm sounds (/system/media/audio/alarms/) and notification sounds (/system/media/audio/notifications/).

I hope someone finds this useful!

EDIT: Looks like you can just put new AAC/MP3/OGG files in that folder and they will be visible after a reboot!

Last edited:
Reaction score
?

I've been looking for a way to keep my custom ringtone, regardless of the sd card I'm using and if it's accessible at the moment. So I figured out an easy way to do this and I thought I'd share it.

1. Convert your ringtone to ogg format (for example with fre:ac)
2. Copy the ogg file to your sd card
3. Download and install this app: Mount /system (rw / ro). Run it and click "Mount r/w".
4. Open a file explorer with root support (like Yaffs Explorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones/
5. Pick a ringtone you want replaced - for example Cairo.ogg. Rename it to Cairo-old.ogg and then copy your custom ringtone to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ and rename it to Cairo.ogg

Now your custom ringtone will be available in the phone's sound settings under the replaced one's name.

This should also work with alarm sounds (/system/media/audio/alarms/) and notification sounds (/system/media/audio/notifications/).

I hope someone finds this useful!

why do you have to go threw all that trouble? can't you just take the ring tone off of your phone and save them to your computer. Then plug in the new phone and drop the sound file in your notifications folder? That's what I've done with the thunderbolt and it worked fine...

OP
E

eMWu

Reaction score
What new phone?
I'm talking about replacing the ringtones in phone's internal memory, which requires enabling write permissions to the /system folder. And just putting a new file there won't make it visible in the phone's sounds settings.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. :huh:

Reaction score
hmmm

What new phone?
I'm talking about replacing the ringtones in phone's internal memory, which requires enabling write permissions to the /system folder. And just putting a new file there won't make it visible in the phone's sounds settings.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. :huh:

maybe it's different on your phone. I thought it was all universal...

I have the Thunderbolt and there is a folder labeled notifications when you hook it up to a pc. You can put any file you want in this folder and when you go to ringtones on your phone, the files you put in that notifications folder will then appear as a ring tone that you can choose...I've done it a few times already. What i'm saying is that, if you know of a ringtone you like, you can plug your phone in, go to that folder and copy the file and paste it to your hardrive. You can then plug in your new phone and and place that ring tone that you like in the notifications folder and then you will be able to choose it as a ringtone. I've used mp3's with no problem at all.

OP
E

eMWu

Reaction score
ok, but the question is, does the ringtone still work if you remove your sd card?

In other words, does the notifications folder that you see is located on the sd card or the phone's internal memory?

In D2G's case, selecting an mp3 from sd card in sound settings as a new ringtone doesn't copy it to the internal memory, meaning the same sd card needs to be present since the phone plays the ringtone from it.

Reaction score
yup

ok, but the question is, does the ringtone still work if you remove your sd card?

In other words, does the notifications folder that you see is located on the sd card or the phone's internal memory?

In D2G's case, selecting an mp3 from sd card in sound settings as a new ringtone doesn't copy it to the internal memory, meaning the same sd card needs to be present since the phone plays the ringtone from it.

Yes. Your putting the file on the phone, not the sd card.

OP
E

eMWu

Reaction score
Ok.
However Droid doesn't give you access to phone's internal memory like that, so your advice doesn't apply here :)

Reaction score
hmmm

Ok.
However Droid doesn't give you access to phone's internal memory like that, so your advice doesn't apply here :)

are you sure...? I have the htc thunderbolt which is a droid phone. When you hook the phone up to a pc does it give you options like, charge, hook up as passthrew for internet, or hook up as usb device? I hook it up and it mounts 2 virtual drives. THe phone and the sd card. I just go to the folder like I said and then I can pick the ringtone. I swaped out the sd cards just to make sure.

OP
E

eMWu

Reaction score
Yep, only the SD card is accessible.

Reaction score
That sux. Maybe its a motorola thing. I got an HTC. Good luck

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

dmcdow

Reaction score
works perfectly... exactly what i was looking for. these solutions are why i rooted

leobg

Reaction score
You can put as many new files as you want in /system/media/audio/ringtones - you don't have to remove old ones. Once you put them, reboot and the new ones will show up in picker.

They can be MP3 or AAC as well - not necessary to convert to ogg, but doesn't hurt