Method for adding custom notifications/ringtones to android system location

bvjens31

Reaction score
I'm sure there are posts about this somewhere on this site, but I haven't found any yet. Basically, I have a rooted D2G (no ROM) and am looking to add my own custom notifications and ringtones into the Android System, so I can just use that when choosing my sounds (instead of having to pick between Android System, and Music, let's say). So I guess I'm looking for a couple things, 1) the method of copying music files (ogg's or mp3's) into the same directory as the stock sounds in my phone's internal memory, and 2) if anyone knows of a place online with addditional notification sounds and ringtones to purchase. 2 is probably a foregone conclusion, I'm sure Google will help me out with that.

Thanks guys! dancedroid

Actually was able to dig a little more after work and found the locations for file system notifications: /system/media/. Now, I just gotta find out how to push files to those folders with ADB. Back to Google.

Last edited:

WrightPC

Reaction score
If all you want to do is have custom ringtones show up with the system ringtones it is not necessary to push them into the /system directory. Just create media/audio/ringtones on your sdcard and put mp3 files in there. For notifications create media/audio/notifications. For alarms create media/audio/alarms. For a quick way to trim your music mp3 files to ringtones check out the free app Ring Droid in the market.