Turning off HD Mode for the Camera

zombietomato

Reaction score
Hiya peeps.

I have a quick question about the camera. My personal phone is a Droid 3, but I've used a lot of the interim phones up to the M for work. Now my job has sent me an M for my work phone. Pretty cool huh? The thing is, I need to be able to take NON HD photos occasionally. I was goofing around with my phone this morning and the first few pics were "normal" mode. Then I got a notification asking me if I wanted to use HDR for that photo. And I did. But now, I can't turn it off. I can see the icon in my settings menu, but tapping it has no effeect on it. It's all HD all the time. This creates a giant file (2.3mb for example. Obviously different photos will be different) that gives my work portal fits when I go to upload it. I can't even email it to a few of the relevant co-workers because the file size overwhelms their inboxes. When we used iPhones for work, we were able to change from HD to regular when we emailed the photo from our phones, but the M doesn't appear to have that functionality. I also tried editing the photos themselves, but there isn't an option there either.

So, does anyone know how to toggle back to Standard Resolution instead of HDR on the camera, or how I can change the photo res after fact?

Thanks!

sonik

Reaction score
First post here but hopefully it'll be of a bit of help.

First, are you referring to 'HDR' mode? Tapping the 4th icon down (while in portrait mode) will give you the option to change this. Single shot will return you camera to 8mp or 6mp(widescreen) mode. Though this doesn't decrease file size much.

The next option that i'm aware of is using 'zoom'. Even just slightly zooming decreases file size dramatically. Full zoom will produce photos with a mere few hundred kb foot print.

A last resort may be using the front facing 0.3 mp camera, tho, in most cases this would suck..

I can see your point though, on my old X i could choose iirc down to 0.3mp quality. Perhaps a third party app can do this? Or perhaps like you, I'm just missing a setting somewhere?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Should be in between the scenes and brightness setting.

[video=youtube;Z3u7k5tYcOk]http://youtu.be/Z3u7k5tYcOk?t=6m45s[/video]

At least it was in this video. (6:45 mark)

OP
Z

zombietomato

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Hi Sonik, I was referring to the HDR mode because I couldn't take it out of HDR mode even after tapping it. It may have been a bug. Since I'd just gotten it the night before and had no important data to lose, I just did a factory reset and now it works. I'm still having issues with the photos being to big, which I'm handling by emailing them to myself first (because my inbox can handle it) and taking them down a few sizes via Office. Too many extra steps... Zooming down may work in some cases but we do need the wider shots for some work purposes.

Thanks for the video TJ, great info but not quite what I was looking for. I did email it on to some of my team mates though!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just as an FYI you could have gone into apps and clear the data for the camera app. That should have cleared all the settings.

As for your pictures data size. I checked on my Bionic and was very surprised to see that motorola does not allow you to change the photo resolution. Like to 5, 3, or VGA.

So, my only other advice would be to purchase an alternative camera app. If you hurry Camera ZOOM FX is .25 still for that sale they're having. With that app you can change the JPEG quality and photo size which should help in lowering the image file size.