Turning off Backup Assistant?

skennelly

Reaction score
How do I make sure my contacts are also backed up by Google before doing your suggestion?

Go to settings, accounts and sync and select Google. From there you can choose what Google will backup and sync.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

krazy006

Reaction score
Go to settings, accounts and sync and select Google. From there you can choose what Google will backup and sync.

so i did the backup you said. Then did the rest of everything and nothing happened. So i ended up clearing data on some other contact thing and lost all my info....did a factory reset and had said no to everything even though it still forced me to try and do the backup for video and pictures, but i just only synced my google account but out of all my contacts i only had about 16 out of the 100+ i have normally with the Backup Assistant. So my questions would be how can i get to to save all my contacts even the ones that have been put on my phone form backup assistant, cause i tried to just press sync contacts from google with no luck. THANKS.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
No need to factory reset. As long as your contacts are backed up by Google, go to settings - application manager - all and find contacts. Select it and clear data. Exit back to the home screen and open contacts. When BUA prompts you for your pin, just select skip.

Not sure it worked. I backed up contacts. opened application manager, and cleared data for contacts, exited to homscreen, opened app drawer, selected Contacts, and was never prompted for anything. all my contacts were still there? Where did I go wrong.

madmax75th

Reaction score
yes just uncheck all your pictures, music etc and it should just update the contact lists.

drew

Reaction score
My wife just had to get a new phone shipped to her because of this Backup Assistant mess.

First of all, she set it up initially (I didn't see her do it or else i would have screamed NOOOOOOO).
It kept trying to backup pictures and was freezing her gallery and phone to the point where only a battery pull would fix it.
Did a factory reset - skipped the BUA and I made sure this was the case this time. The VZW ROM checked for a subscription anyway and even though nothing was checked or activated, the behavior was the same!!

She took it to VZW who apparently signed us up for phone insurance at $6.99 a month without our knowledge or consent. In this case, it helped us because she's getting a new phone overnighted. On a 3rd factory reset, I think I was able to clear the behavior, but want her to get a new phone.

All pictures that were taken with the phone are GONE. All photos sent via S-BEAM are GONE. Verizon has no record of these photos being backed up, and the factory reset wiped them from the device (even though her camera app was set to store things to the SD card). The fact that the Verizon backup app is what caused this mess has me furious with them. It's not the phone's fault.

Bottom line: BUA and BUA+ has been a total nightmare for her. As others suggested, use Google for contacts, and use any of the cloud storage services for pictures (Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Google+, Flickr, Picasa, Facebook, etc). You might also consider using IFTTT.com to set up some automation tasks to move files around (example, if post a picture to Instagram, move to Flickr or Dropbox.