Turning off all data

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but I have a question. If in Airplane mode does that turn off GPS also? I'll be traveling next week on a cruise and would need anything that uses data plan off but would like to have GPS on for directions when we are ashore or just for fun to track where the ship is.

Thanks

Ok, Im going on a cruise in April. Now VZW service will be unavailable. But we can still connect to GPS Sats w/o cell service?

billyidle

Reaction score
No, google maps/navigation need a data connection to download maps. Your software would need to be able to cache maps beforehand.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
No, google maps/navigation need a data connection to download maps. Your software would need to be able to cache maps beforehand.

thats what I thought. It would be nice to have that ability thought, cached maps.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Turning on Airplane Mode turns off the voice data though, right?

I wanted something that turned off everything except the voice so I could still get calls. I was wondering if what I originally posted did that.

I mean no offense and I don't mean to question your purchases (people are free to buy whatever they want), but why get such a feature-rich, connected phone if you don't want to be able to use any of the features? It sounds like all you really want is an extremely basic cell phone. :confused:

Twist747

Reaction score

thats what I thought. It would be nice to have that ability thought, cached maps.
Sorry that I don't know the name of the app, but I have seen an app that stores the maps on the phone (as I understand) allowing to use the GPS & Maps w/o a cell connection.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
Turning on Airplane Mode turns off the voice data though, right?

I wanted something that turned off everything except the voice so I could still get calls. I was wondering if what I originally posted did that.

I mean no offense and I don't mean to question your purchases (people are free to buy whatever they want), but why get such a feature-rich, connected phone if you don't want to be able to use any of the features? It sounds like all you really want is an extremely basic cell phone. :confused:

Oh trust me, I enjoy everything that is available on the Droid, but I would like to extend the battery life as much as possible. There are times in a day that I do not need the data service except for the phone calls. Having all, if not most, of the other data off does help with the battery life. That's mainly the reason I posted this thread. Again, I'll emphasize that I LOVE what the Droid can do (which is a lot), but you sacrifice battery life. I'm sure some others in this forum know what I mean.

deputc26

Reaction score
This is a much easier method than all that dialing

sms will still work.

Install Better Cut or Any Cut
Long press on the home screen.
Choose 'Shortcuts'
Choose 'Better Cut' (Or Any Cut if that's the case)
Choose 'Activity'
Select 'Data Call Settings'
Select an Icon, choose a name and select 'Create'

Then open the shortcut and it takes you to a menu.

just uncheck 'Data Call Enabled' and that will cut off all 3g/2g data.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score

sms will still work.

Choose 'Shortcuts'
Choose 'Activity'

Interesting...

I'll check this out, bro. Thanks! :)

deputc26

Reaction score
No prob! :) anything to create a better droid experience for my fellow man;)

youngbey

Reaction score
I ran into a problem using this method to turn of data. Once I connect to wifi than later disconnect from that wifi connection. the phone automatically renables data and i have to manually go and disable it by dialing or using the call settings shortcut.

is there a way to fix this so it doesn't enable data right after disconnecting from wifi.

jcjoelc

Reaction score

sms will still work.

Choose 'Shortcuts'
Choose 'Activity'

Interesting...

I'll check this out, bro. Thanks! :)
Thank you for this information. It seems to work. This solution seems to keep the data from starting up again on its own. I hope others are able to find this solution. I know that there are people using Page Plus as their carrier who could benefit from this.
Thanks againdancedroid

xmguy

Reaction score
I don't have Data Call Settings on my options list for Any Cut.

deputc26

Reaction score
Now that Froyo is up you can just get a widget to toggle all data.