Turning off all data

bastosero

Reaction score
I read in another forum that one can turn off all data on the Droid by doing this...

To disable data:

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#* - 'Phone Info' screen appears
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More
- Tap Disable data connection

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

Does this make the phone use 2G instead of 3G (does it turn off 3G)? Is it even possible to use 2G on the Droid? Has anyone else tried this?

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yes it does work. disables both 3g and 2g connection

your phone should revert to 2g when 3g is unavailable

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
Does it turn off voice for calling also?

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
Turning on Airplane Mode turns off the voice data though, right?

I wanted something that turned off everything except the voice so I could still get calls. I was wondering if what I originally posted did that.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
to conserve battery power

the more data your phone uses, the more juice it will consume...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I wanted something that turned off everything except the voice so I could still get calls. I was wondering if what I originally posted did that.

The only thing that works in airplane mode is wifi. And of course you would have to have wifi turned on and be available. Everything else is off so it will turn off voice.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score

The only thing that works in airplane mode is wifi. And of course you would have to have wifi turned on and be available. Everything else is off so it will turn off voice.

Yup, but I'm looking for something along the lines of having everything off except the voice data for making and receiving calls. I don't know if what I originally posted on this thread accomplishes that or not. Has anyone else tried it by the way?

Last edited:
OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
Turn off sync, and turn off any apps that use data.

I've already thought about that, but that doesn't turn off everything that I want to though. Plus, that's kind of a hassle to do if I wanted everything back on in an instant.

OP
bastosero

bastosero

Reaction score
Anyway, I heard there were some apps in the market for something like this to turn off/on data, but they don't work (something to do with the apps being that they only work on GSM and not on CDMA).

Last edited:

zetachi

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but I have a question. If in Airplane mode does that turn off GPS also? I'll be traveling next week on a cruise and would need anything that uses data plan off but would like to have GPS on for directions when we are ashore or just for fun to track where the ship is.

Thanks

rjax

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but I have a question. If in Airplane mode does that turn off GPS also? I'll be traveling next week on a cruise and would need anything that uses data plan off but would like to have GPS on for directions when we are ashore or just for fun to track where the ship is.

Thanks

From what I understand about Airplane mode, GPS will work with some apps, but not others. But I haven't seen a definitive list. It seems like something you should be able to test for yourself pretty easily.