Turned phone off - gets hot and dies??? HELP

sirzobs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr M
I was in the car when I noticed my phone had low power so I turned it off. About a minute later I pick it up and this thing is hotter than hell and I think the battery is about to blow so I set it outside where its colder and let it cool down a little. I didnt think much of this until I tried to turn it on a few hours later and got not response.

I am SUPER frustrated with this since I happened to have insurance when the display broke on my old one about a month ago, but now I cant afford to get a new one. Any help is appreciated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was in the car when I noticed my phone had low power so I turned it off. About a minute later I pick it up and this thing is hotter than hell and I think the battery is about to blow so I set it outside where its colder and let it cool down a little. I didnt think much of this until I tried to turn it on a few hours later and got not response.

I am SUPER frustrated with this since I happened to have insurance when the display broke on my old one about a month ago, but now I cant afford to get a new one. Any help is appreciated.
Is this the RAZR or RAZR MAXX?

Thing is, If the battery is deep discharged it's difficult to get it charged back to nominal levels so it will take a charge with the regular charger. It may need to be direct charged or charged with a custom programming cable which sends power directly to the battery.

OP
S

sirzobs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr M
Is this the RAZR or RAZR MAXX?

Thing is, If the battery is deep discharged it's difficult to get it charged back to nominal levels so it will take a charge with the regular charger. It may need to be direct charged or charged with a custom programming cable which sends power directly to the battery.
My friend told me not to charge so I dont expand the battery, and where would I get the items you mentioned?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try a trickle charge by plugging it into a running PC. If it starts getting really hot again unplug it.. If it doesn't get really hot try that for a few hours. My thought is that the battery is toast.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The custom cable is available off eBay and other sources. It's called Factory Programming Cable, for Motorola phones. It applies power directly to the battery and the motherboard, bypassing the phone's charging circuit. It's used primarily by technicians and the manufacturer to program phones even without a battery, but can also be used to "jump start" (replenish deep-discharged), batteries by giving them a direct charge boost.

2 5 ft Micro USB Factory Cable Fastboot mode for Motorola Xoom Droid Razr Atrix eBay

is one search that results in what you're looking for.

You can also fashion one yourself if you're nearsighted, have tiny hands and a fine soldering iron...

How why to make your own Motorola Factory Cable Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Care should be taken when using these cables...never leave it connected for more than 30 minutes at a time and closely watch for temperature climbs. After the 30 minute boost, try connecting the stock charger and see if the phone charging system responds. If it does, allow the phone to charge to 100% with the power off. DO NOT try to power up the phone until AFTER it's showing 100% when you tap the volume keys.

If it doesn't respond to the stock charger after the initial 30 minutes with the factory programming cable, give it another 30 minutes and watch/monitor it for temperature increases. If at ANY TIME it begins to get HOT, disconnect it IMMEDIATELY and take the phone outdoors or to a place that's away from flammables. These batteries can become volatile and essentially become miniature flares if they are either overcharged or if they've been too deeply discharged.

Again, if after boosting the battery for 30 minutes you can't get the stock charger to respond, it may be a lost cause for that battery. I suggest boosting no more than maybe 3 times before giving up completely on the factory programming cable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My friend told me not to charge so I dont expand the battery, and where would I get the items you mentioned?
You should at the very least allow the battery to reach room temperature before attempting ANY charging. I would try the stock charger first and give it a chance to see if it will work. To check charging progress tap one of the volume keys and wait a few seconds. You should see a large battery icon and a percent of charge. If you do, let it go until that tap on the volume key gives you a 100%. Don't hit the power key until you've reached 100%.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Don't want to take anything away from what FoxKat and Leeshor have offered, they give awesome advice...just want to offer a similar story about my Razr M. My Razr M also got extremely hot and became unresponsive once, when it was about 6 months old. I was not even using it at the time it happened. I did a soft reset to get it shut down (Volume Down & Power together). I let it sit for a while once shut down so it cooled off. I always use stock, OEM chargers for my phones...so I plugged it into the factory charger. It took a few minutes before indicating that it was charging. I let it charge up to 100% while still shut off (I have read some of FoxKat's older battery posts...so I followed some of his advice!) and it turned back on and seemed fine. I figured that I must have had a runaway app or some glitch cause the heat and unresponsiveness, so as soon as I turned it back on I backed up important data and did a Factory Reset (FDR). After the FDR I was very picky about which apps I re-installed and only installed a few at a time and watched the phone for a while. Once I got it all setup the way I wanted again...it ran great for another 7 months. Something else to consider if it does take a charge and turn back on.

OP
S

sirzobs

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr M
Don't want to take anything away from what FoxKat and Leeshor have offered, they give awesome advice...just want to offer a similar story about my Razr M. My Razr M also got extremely hot and became unresponsive once, when it was about 6 months old. I was not even using it at the time it happened. I did a soft reset to get it shut down (Volume Down & Power together). I let it sit for a while once shut down so it cooled off. I always use stock, OEM chargers for my phones...so I plugged it into the factory charger. It took a few minutes before indicating that it was charging. I let it charge up to 100% while still shut off (I have read some of FoxKat's older battery posts...so I followed some of his advice!) and it turned back on and seemed fine. I figured that I must have had a runaway app or some glitch cause the heat and unresponsiveness, so as soon as I turned it back on I backed up important data and did a Factory Reset (FDR). After the FDR I was very picky about which apps I re-installed and only installed a few at a time and watched the phone for a while. Once I got it all setup the way I wanted again...it ran great for another 7 months. Something else to consider if it does take a charge and turn back on.
thanks, but it got hot after it was off, and when i try to charge it, the charge light almost flickers very subtly, and I cant check the power because the buttons appear to be unresponsive. So all I have to work with here is the (sometimes dim) charging light

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
^^^ Excellent advice!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
thanks, but it got hot after it was off, and when i try to charge it, the charge light almost flickers very subtly, and I cant check the power because the buttons appear to be unresponsive. So all I have to work with here is the (sometimes dim) charging light
If the heat came AFTER powering down I would be suspicious of the battery's stability. As mentioned it can become a flare of it develops internal shunts (minute electrical shorts of lithium metal which are caused by either deep discharging or overcharging), and will heat up, expand, burst and catch fire, potentially causing injury or damage to house and possessions. If it heats up like that again make sure you're not holding it and it's somewhere that it won't ignite other flammables, like in a steel sink.

Naughtiemare

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not enough characters
I have experienced this issue with 2 different Motorola phones, I have a Droid Bionic that got so hot it could burn you and eventually shut itself down and enable the cooldown mode, I really didn't do anything to cause it, was running stock everything so it's kind of strange. Seems like a very unsafe problem with these motorola phones, whatever the cause may be.