Turn Your Home Button Into A Capacitive Button!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Did you know that you can actually use your Samsung Home button as a touch only Capacitive button? Physically pressing the home button can ruin your flow and slow down your experience. A Capacitive button is much easier and quicker to use. The EasyHome app turns the home button from your Samsung phone into a capacitive button.

This app will work with most Samsung devices released in 2014 and 2015.This is also a great way to save wear and tear on your home button. The app is free, but there is a pre version that will set you back $1.69 which allows you to wake your device by touching the home button if you are not using the fingerprint to unlock. Grab this app from the link below.

via Play Store

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm interested to know what this does for battery life. I have to assume it'll be polling the fingerprint reader sensor constantly, waiting for the sensor to tell it that your finger has touched the button...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm going to have to try this out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know how much battery the fingerprint sensor really needs to constantly monitor for your finger there. May not notice any difference, but I'll look forward to your findings.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Me too! I'll certainty know if the app shows up in my battery stats. I also wonder if it will interfere when I use fingerprint to unlock. I'll keep you posted.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Me too! I'll certainty know if the app shows up in my battery stats. I also wonder if it will interfere when I use fingerprint to unlock. I'll keep you posted.

Says the pro version to wake the device with the button doesn't work with fingerprint unlock, but you should be good otherwise.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it works. One of the reviews mentions it causing issues with long-press for Google Now.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Physically pressing the home button can ruin your flow and slow down your experience. A Capacitive button is much easier and quicker to use.

what? pressing a physical button breaks immersion? I didn't know that, since I've been using my note 2 for years. I guess I just don't see my phone as the most immersive experience in the world. but whatever floats your boat.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
No interest in this app. I've never had a problem with any of the home buttons wearing out on my Galaxy S devices. That, and I use the long press feature on mine so using this app would render any long press features useless. Interesting concept though.

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Let us know how it works. One of the reviews mentions it causing issues with long-press for Google Now.
Correct, Google Now does not work when you long press on home. I'm hoping that they will fix that. It does not seem that it should be too difficult to activate that feature. No biggie for me bc I just access it through my start launcher that always floats on top of my display.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Correct, Google Now does not work when you long press on home. I'm hoping that they will fix that. It does not seem that it should be too difficult to activate that feature. No biggie for me bc I just access it through my start launcher that always floats on top of my display.

Really? Does a regular press of the button still take you home? I'm guessing that's hard to test, since just touching it will take you home, but that's sold me on not feeling a need to try this app. Well, that and the whole screen unlock situation.

Hope they continue to improve it and fix these things though!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The main reason I'm not a fan of this app is because it only offers the one feature. If you're using a third party launcher like Nova or Apex, you have the option to set up your home button to perform a variety of tasks, both via a single tap, or long press.... depending on your needs. This app completely removes that option, in essence, making a smartphone dumber.
wP23iea.jpg
VlcVCEz.png

Perhaps they'll update this in the future, but for now I'll pass.

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes to both cr6 and Jonny Kansas... The app really needs much more functionality to be useful. Sure, it is nice only touching the home button instead of pressing it but, as it is now, the only thing it can do is take you home. Also, when my phone goes blank because I've been idle for too long, without the app I just press the home button and it brings me back to where I left off. This app always takes you to your homescreen. Annoying and not really a convenience.

What this app needs to do is allow the same functionality as stock with only a touch. I don't see any reason why that would be too difficult to do but I'm not a developer so guess I can't judge.

The things I'd like this to do with just a touch are...

*if I'm in an app and touch, take me home.
*if I long touch bring me to Google Now (or give me an option of where I want to go).
*If my phone goes to sleep, when I unlock take me back to what I was doing before.
*If my phone goes to sleep, let me use touch to wake up whether I use fingerprint unlock or not.

I think Samsung should have done all of this anyway.

Reaction score
Wake on Gesture work on Samsung? Should leave the button alone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk