turn off just data

tipopilota

Reaction score
Is there a way to just turn off data on the droid but still make and receive calls as well as still get text messages? I travel on cruises and don't want to pay roaming charges for the data, but still want to be able to make and receive calls and text messages.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
data and calls use the same radio...IIRC...

OP
T

tipopilota

Reaction score
Well that would suck if it did. I have never had a smart phone like that before. I have been able to do it before w/ all my other phones that I have had in the past, such as BB, windows mobile. So I hope that either there is an app, or some setting that is out there.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Well that would suck if it did. I have never had a smart phone like that before. I have been able to do it before w/ all my other phones that I have had in the past, such as BB, windows mobile. So I hope that either there is an app, or some setting that is out there.

Do they have wifi on board? might be cheaper to turn on wifi since it kills the data connect over cellular...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Settings/Wireless and Network/Mobile Networks/Data Roaming uncheck.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Settings/Wireless and Network/Mobile Networks/Data Roaming uncheck.

lol..Never thought of that. That will keep it from roaming.
But that would kill both Data and Cellular from roaming....Right?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol..Never thought of that. That will keep it from roaming.
But that would kill both Data and Cellular from roaming....Right?

Mine's unchecked right now. Phone works fine.

Are you roaming?

No, Not at the moment. lol.

If he goes out of the roaming area that Verizon has available he will not be able to use his phone anyway. It's not a world wide phone like the Storm. It will prevent him from using data. If he goes out of the area he would have to use WiFi for messaging.

Droidnought

Reaction score
You definitely can turn off Data roaming - Menu/Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks, Uncheck Data Roaming. It stopped mine from getting a data connection at home, where I am in US Cellular 1x territory. If I travel a little ways down the road until the Verizon signal picks up a little it will link up to 3G. Since domestic data roaming is included in our Nationwide plan, I keep the Roaming box checked.

Wally

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is if you're on a cruise....FORGET THE PHONE! :)

BostonBill

Reaction score
I have heard horror stories involving huge charges incurred just by turning on mobile phones while traveling. Voice mail charges in particular. Can you do the opposite of what the OP asks and turn off the phone and just use it for wifi? What would the settings be for that?

radioactive

Reaction score
My recommendation is if you're on a cruise....FORGET THE PHONE! :)

Considering VZW's "Cruise Ship Service Rate" is $2.49/min, I must say, unless it is a dire emergency, I would agree with Vulcan1600Rider

International Roaming

On the same note, I will be on a cruise next week. Was wondering I can turn off Data , Text and voice but Keep the GPS on just for kicks to see where I am on the maps ? Of using Maps need data ? also, One other noob question. If I connect to a wifi, Will data automatically goes thru wifi and not wireless network ?