Need to take droid to mexico (cancun)

hashsi99

Reaction score
Will be traveling out of the country for a wedding, but am leaving my daughter at home. I need to be available in case of emergencies. I know Verizon's rate is .99 / minute, which is fine. However, I'm only worried about data charges. How do you completely turn data off?? I don't want to receive texts either.

here's what i've found on the boards:

1) turn off roaming option under networks
2) turn off auto retrieve in the messaging app

I've also seen that this still incurs data charges.

Another option I'm thinking about is just getting a cheap phone and using a sim from my destination. Which leads me to another question:

I've heard just leaving the droid powered off, kills the battery. How do I avoid this? by taking the battery out? I want to make sure the battery is fully charged for my trip back. Maybe put the phone in airplane mode and then charge?

thanks,

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just returned from Mexico (Riviera Maya) and called Verizon before leaving and they worked out a calling plan that was prorated for the time I was away (although it did include an entire month, it ended up being cheaper than other options). When I called Verizon support they were very helpful and offered several different plans for phone/data - I selected the 900 minute plan (middle of the road) and was able to connect data through the resort's wireless seamlessly, but off the resort it was a no go on data. The phone portion of the Droid worked perfectly and I did keep the unit charged during the time I was away, so I cannot comment on how fast the battery dissipated.

I will have to wait and see just what the charges are, but don't expect any real surprises.