Int'l traveling w/o data

goldbergs

Reaction score
I'm traveling international to some areas where Verizon has coverage. I know that I will pay about $2 per minute for phone calls but want to make damn sure that I do not connect to the data network since some of the apps are data hungry and will rack up huge charges.

Is there a way to turn off the DATA and allow voice and text messages only

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'm traveling international to some areas where Verizon has coverage. I know that I will pay about $2 per minute for phone calls but want to make damn sure that I do not connect to the data network since some of the apps are data hungry and will rack up huge charges.

Is there a way to turn off the DATA and allow voice and text messages only

From the Home Screen, press the Menu Key
Select "Settings"
Select "Wireless & Networks"
Select "Mobile Networks"
make sure "Data Roaming" is NOT checked.
Select "System Select"
make sure "Home only" IS checked.

I think that will do it. To be 100% certain, you should check with a Verizon rep...

(EDIT: Also, it's possible that selecting Home Only under the System Select option will disable voice calls while roaming... So maybe while you're there, if you can't make voice calls, try re-enabling that...)

motovation

Reaction score
Data

You can call before you leave and get unlimited international Data for $69.00 per month as needed. If you are gone less than a month you can get it pro-rated if you let them know when you are traveling. E-mails will still be much less expensive than calling. You can also browse the web and keep track of events at home.

nickv84

Reaction score
You can call before you leave and get unlimited international Data for $69.00 per month as needed. If you are gone less than a month you can get it pro-rated if you let them know when you are traveling. E-mails will still be much less expensive than calling. You can also browse the web and keep track of events at home.

This is what I'm planning on doing while in Mexico. It ends up being an additional $1.16 per day for unlimited data. Sure beats $1 per minute on voice.

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Newbie here. Spent a huge hunk of the last week and this weekend reading the forum. Thanks to all for the real-world info relating to the Droid. :greendroid: You all have just cost me a couple of hundred bucks. And I couldn't be happier.

My questions is: If I go to Europe on vacation is there a way to disable the cell radio while still having wifi enabled? I realize that I won't be able to make calls, but would like the ability to upload photos, check email & do other web-based actions while I'm hooked up to wifi when I'm out & about.

I'm assuming CDMA doesn't work on the other side of the pond.

nickv84

Reaction score
Newbie here. Spent a huge hunk of the last week and this weekend reading the forum. Thanks to all for the real-world info relating to the Droid. :greendroid: You all have just cost me a couple of hundred bucks. And I couldn't be happier.

My questions is: If I go to Europe on vacation is there a way to disable the cell radio while still having wifi enabled? I realize that I won't be able to make calls, but would like the ability to upload photos, check email & do other web-based actions while I'm hooked up to wifi when I'm out & about.

I'm assuming CDMA doesn't work on the other side of the pond.

Welcome! You can keep your phone on airplane mode to disable the network connection and then toggle on wifi as needed.

Mr Steve

Reaction score
Great! (and since we seem to love the dancing banana - :icon_ banana:)

(not as great as having the phone/sms work, but acceptable)

It would be a shame to wander about snapping photos and not be able to upload them when within wifi range. Same with emails. Just didn't want to have to worry about running the battery down over there as the phone is hopelessly looking for a cell phone signal.

Just put my order in online. The Droid I'm looking for should be here Tuesday.

b8b

Reaction score

How do you block the texting though?