turn off GPS

bxs122

Reaction score
If I want to conserve battery use I can turn WiFi off and would also like to turn GPS off.

Is GPS always on or only when you have maps open?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's always on by default, but there is a free app in the marketplace under tools for GPS on off.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you long-press a blank area of your screen, click "widgets," then "power control," you will get a widget that allows you to control the power to the wifi, bluetooth, gps, email push (I think), and auto-backlight.

OP
B

bxs122

Reaction score
If you long-press a blank area of your screen, click "widgets," then "power control," you will get a widget that allows you to control the power to the wifi, bluetooth, gps, email push (I think), and auto-backlight.

no way - so that is how you get widgets, just reading about these; I m so glad I stayed with Verizon long enough for the DROID and did not cave and go ATT for an iPhone.

liggittm

Reaction score

Thanks so much for this info! I was finally able to turn off GPS when a terrible app (Gowalla) refused.

coupon

Reaction score
power control app is awesome. the email push does turns on/off syncing which is very useful at home when im at a computer. i dont need my phone beeping to tell me i got an email...or do i..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can handle it however you want to. I only have it notify me when I receive email directly from certain people. I find turning sync off and on too tedious. YMMV, of course.

Detonation

Reaction score
It amazes me how so few people know about the stock Power Control widget, even more so when they are recommending others to download another one they don't even need.

bhjazz

Reaction score
You can also turn off GPS by:
App Listing (where all your apps are shown)
Settings
Location & Security
Use GPS Satellites switch

This certainly takes longer than the widget, but is availble with a stock system and no additional apps.

eliassami5

Reaction score
to answer your previous question, no GPS is not always on even when its ON. Unless you have the weather channel app set to locate your location for weather updates or if you have google latitude on. Other 3rd party apps may use the gps also but i dont know what apps you have installed so im not gonna bother listing them.

So i wouldn't worry about turning off GPS, the only thing i would turn off would be wifi if im not at home or school. The only time ive turned off GPS is when the google home page on the browser kept trying to find my location and the GPS icon wouldent go away even if i exited the browser, but i turned that setting off in google settings and now its not a problem.

Last edited:

flyguide83

Reaction score
power control app is awesome. the email push does turns on/off syncing which is very useful at home when im at a computer. i dont need my phone beeping to tell me i got an email...or do i..
Depends... Does the sync feature change weather you get Text messages or calls? If not.. Turn it off I guess.

coupon

Reaction score
haha sorry that was more of a sarcastic remark on the or do i...part. i really dont but since i've gotten my droid i've tried to push every extra KB i can out of my data plan. including letting me know i have an email the instant i get it in front of my computer. also of course sync doesnt turn off txts/calls, just apps that sync data with your accounts.

Mr.Tickles

Reaction score
I am now Turing my GPS off as often as possible. I took several photos last night n when I went to catalog/orga ize/name them today, they were already cataloged by my phone: they were named (city,state) where they were taken. CREEPY!
Ps. My GPS was turned off via power widget????

Last edited: