TuneSync problems

wg0649

Reaction score
Anyone use TuneSync with Windows 7? I get everything installed and running but I fail on the "retrieve playlist" everytime.

Any ideas?

Druime

Reaction score
I can not seem to get tunesync either. I am running windows 7 and a Droid X. I followed the install instructions and nothing is working not even the wired sync. I would love so information if anyone has any suggestions or ways to get this to work

-Druime

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Also Win7 (64bit if that matters) with a Droid X. Sounds like TuneSync would be great, but I just can't see any playlists.

In case it helps, when I try to run the "test connection" process, TuneSync gives me what appears to be a MAC address for my computer instead of an IP, and then tells me the connection to computer failed. Doing an "ipconfig" on my PC shows that I have a normal x.x.x.x style IP address, though...

OP
W

wg0649

Reaction score
I finally got this working by running both itunes and tunesync server as an admin. (right-click --> run as administrator..)
I still couldn't see the server in the list so I added the IP manually then the playlists showed up.

Druime

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Also Win7 (64bit if that matters) with a Droid X. Sounds like TuneSync would be great, but I just can't see any playlists.

In case it helps, when I try to run the "test connection" process, TuneSync gives me what appears to be a MAC address for my computer instead of an IP, and then tells me the connection to computer failed. Doing an "ipconfig" on my PC shows that I have a normal x.x.x.x style IP address, though...

Yep 64bit Win 7 and the same IP looks more like a mac address for me as well.

I did email their support and explained everything I had tried and my situation and after a week or so I got a stock reply that had all the same steps to take that is in the troubleshooting section, which I had done all of

Druime

Reaction score
I finally got this working by running both itunes and tunesync server as an admin. (right-click --> run as administrator..)
I still couldn't see the server in the list so I added the IP manually then the playlists showed up.

I'll have to give this a try. I tried running the tunesync server as admin and also in XP compatibility mode but never did anything with iTunes.

Where did you manually enter the IP address?

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
Yay!

I found where to enter the IP address, and that seemed to be the trick. When you choose "Host Computer", hit your menu button. This should bring up a popup that lets you enter the specific IP. From there, it's just patience. Hopefully. If it's actually a successful sync I'll ping back.

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
Too soon. :( The IP address let me see the playlists (well, most of them; it couldn't see my custom "Smart" playlists), but sync fails every single time. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
Fixed!

Finally figured it out! I explained the issue to a friend much smarter than I, and he correctly guessed that the weird MAC-like IP address was because, by default, Win7 tries to use IPv6, but TuneSync only seems to understand IPv4 (the "old" way, ex: 127.0.0.1). Disabling IPv6 on my Win7 64bit machine fixed all my issues, and now my Droid X is syncing away quite happily.

Here's a guide I found online that pretty clearly explained how to disable IPv6. It requires a quick and easy registry hack, a tweak in Control Panel, and a reboot, but it's been smooth sailing since. Good luck!

Disable IPv6 in Windows 7 | Windows 7 Themes

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
Gave up.

Don't know about Vista, to be honest. I would assume it should, but who knows. As for myself, I've given up. It appeared to be working for me in Win7, but the process was ridiculous: every single song, the app seemed to start all over again. It took 30min to transfer a single album. Definitely not worth it from my end.

For what it's worth, I've been using iTunes Agent (free app: iTunes Agent) and it works great. Just install it, run it after starting iTunes, and configure your device. I transferred ~10gb of music to my phone in about 3hrs, and from there updates are plenty quick. My only complaint is that it doesn't keep track of whether songs are played or not, so your play count in iTunes won't ever change. May not matter to most, but it was always an interesting stat for me.

JimClark

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've been using iTunes Agent (free app: iTunes Agent) and it works great. Just install it, run it after starting iTunes, and configure your device. I transferred ~10gb of music to my phone in about 3hrs, and from there updates are plenty quick. My only complaint is that it doesn't keep track of whether songs are played or not, so your play count in iTunes won't ever change. May not matter to most, but it was always an interesting stat for me.

When I tried iTunes Agent I couldn't get playlists to show up in my Fascinate. Do playlists work well for you with iTunes Agent?

EnterNameHere

Reaction score
The "catch" with iTunes Agent is that you can only sync one playlist to your device, which made it somewhat of a mind bender to get it to do what I want. The plus side is that you can make a "smart" playlist that contains multiple other playlists, etc, though, so you'll just need to fiddle with that a bit.

As far as iTunesAgent seeing playlists, no, I haven't had much trouble. As long as iTunes is running it seems to behave just fine. If it's not working properly for you, maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunesAgent? Not too sure what else could be going wrong there... Good luck!

usrnm

Reaction score
I fixed the problem on my win7 x64. It turns out the inbound firewall rule for tune sync was only enabled for "public" networks. My network type is private, i.e. home. Just edit the tunesync rules to make your network type work.