Trying to stream/share files froma PC to Droid Bionic

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I'd really, really like to use my shiny new Droid Bionic in tandem with my PC (Windows 7, running through a Linksys WRT54G2 at firmware 1.0) to stream over 4G. After doing some research, it looks like VLC Scan&Convert Free is the go-to app for this. Perfect.

I set up VLC on my home computer (running Windows 7) and enabled the web interface (also editing the .hosts file to include my computer's static local IP). I also ensured that, yes, my desktop PC has a static local IP and that port-forwarding works. I've forwarded rtsp ports as well. I set up a VPN on my home computer and forwarded that port. Through my Droid I CAN connect to the home VPN. (Well, sometimes -- it was working reliably and then, without changing anything, just broke itself. Awesome.)

Here's where I get stuck. I can definitely connect to the home VPN over 3G/4G but I CANNOT seem to connect to VLC S&C or, really, do anything! I've been plugging away at this for hours and am about ready to punch a puppy, I'm so frustrated.

Under Menu | Connect, nothing works. I can type in my external IP, nothing. I can select any of the local networks (often named ppp0, qmi1, and usb1, though these aren't always all there) and "scan," but nothing is found. It's worth noting that I set up my VPN per instructions on traveldevel, and that ppp0 connection lists the ip as 192.168.1.32, which is one that I entered in the properties of the computer VPN as suggested by another guide online.

With the WLAN turned on and connected, I do get a "VLC Server Found" and I can indeed scan and connect to my local IP (192.168.1.55:8080) and play files -- but I don't want to use my local WLAN, I want to use 4G. So why can't I use my VLC S&C connected via VPN? I just don't get it. The VPN should be equivalent of being connected via Wi-Fi, yes?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
And now I can't figure out why my VPN just broke itself. SERIOUSLY, I'm frustrated. It was working and everything said it was connected; the Bionic said things were peachy, and the Windows box reported the user connected. And now, with zero changes made by me, I get: "Unable to connect to the network. Do you want to try again?" . . . now, where are those puppies? Should I just give up?

EDIT: Aaaaaand, now it works again. For now. Goodness gracious, I am thinking maybe my next phone will be the Droid Abacus. I will then connect via CtC (Can-to-Can) Protocol to my desktop PC running Windows Lego.

VLC S&C definitely does work over WLAN, but not WAN/VPN. Is this maybe a feature limited to the Pro version?

Oh, and I apologize if this discussion is in the wrong place. I'm also open to suggestions for using other apps, btw.

mach330

Reaction score
you don't want to use the built in zumocast? i'm having problems with it with my imac. I guess it's a known issue for server not going online. i hope they fix it soon.

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I'll give Zumocast a try, though I'm skeptical of most built-in apps like that.

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
Wow. 3 hours of complex set-up for VPN, etc. and. . . Zumocast works right out of the box. I feel kind of cheated, somehow.

Hemarr

Reaction score
Wow. 3 hours of complex set-up for VPN, etc. and. . . Zumocast works right out of the box. I feel kind of cheated, somehow.

Wow you got Zumocast to see your home server over 4g? Can you tell me how you did it because mine always says server offline unless i'm on wifi at home
Thanks in advance