Trying to save on Data MB

sugabutt

Reaction score
I just got the Incredible a few days ago, and signed up for the limited 150MB data plan (I know, probably a stupid move). The verizon employee downloaded Adv Task Killer and said to kill the apps several times a day. I'm noticing that apps (like Gmail, Facebook, etc) will start up by themselves, because I will kill them, then a few hours later, after not touching my phone, they are started again. Is there another app that will really stop them, or is there a setting I can change, so they don't start up by themselves? I'm trying to save my 150MB for when I really want to use it, not when the phone is idle.

Reaction score
Try to keep your phone connected to wifi, get rid of task killer, its terrible. I would provide links but I'm indisposrd atm. In settings, see if there is a battery manager or data manager and put it on maximum saver. Also, your email apps are only using data when mail is pushed to your device.

Try turning on airplane mode if you really don't want to use any data.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

aDroidman

Reaction score
only download apps in wifi only use apps that use data in wifi. Checking your mail should be fine. If your using twitter/facebook on the droids it can add up. Dont use the web unless you need to because on the droids its like twice as much as on a normal phone. Change your refresh settings for facebook/twitter/anything that updates check every 4+ hours. They will auto update when you launch the app.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
KILL ATK!!! KILLL THAT ^&*W#$%^&*(@#$SVYG#$^ THING NOW!!!

Seriously, task killers are BAD news.

It's almost impossible to keep a smartphone under 150MB/month. Turn off mobile network data. Keep it on WiFi all the time. That's the ONLY way.

aDroidman

Reaction score
airplane mode is the only way I can see keeping it under 150....... I run though 150 with out trying in week and a half. If i use my droid alot ill get it under a week....

Reaction score
I've seen people start under 150 without bring exclusively wifi, but its not easy and they are very light users.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

OP
S

sugabutt

Reaction score
Thanks all - can I ask what Airplane Mode entails? What does it stop?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
All wireless connections; CDMA Voice connection and 3G Data connection. You cannot receive calls or data while this is on -- it's a requirement from the FCC because for some odd reason using cell phones while on an airplane is illegal...

OP
S

sugabutt

Reaction score
Thanks, well keeping it in Airplane mode is out - I still want to send/receive calls and text.

Rsswga

Reaction score
I all honesty I don't see how you want go over...I would be so paranoid . I use 2gb or so a month and I use wifi around 65% of the time

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's almost impossible. However, with Mobile Data turned off (like I told you how to do) you can still send and receive calls -- you just have no data connection without WiFi.

OP
S

sugabutt

Reaction score
only download apps in wifi only use apps that use data in wifi. Checking your mail should be fine. If your using twitter/facebook on the droids it can add up. Dont use the web unless you need to because on the droids its like twice as much as on a normal phone. Change your refresh settings for facebook/twitter/anything that updates check every 4+ hours. They will auto update when you launch the app.

Where do I go to change (or stop) the refresh settings on FB?

OP
S

sugabutt

Reaction score
It's almost impossible. However, with Mobile Data turned off (like I told you how to do) you can still send and receive calls -- you just have no data connection without WiFi.

Thanks, I found it now and stopped it. I think this will work best. I can turn it on when I want to connect, then turn it off. I can still text with mobile off, right?