Trying to add ringtone>trouble :add opens with a player > can´t select the ringtone file..

Ron Wolpa

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
alcatel pixi 3 35
I am trying to add a new tone.
I copied the mp3 ringtone file to SD card inside the Ringtones folder , then tapped Settings > Sound > Ringtones & Notifications and tapped Add which opened the player "Music" (3.3.0133.0).
It happens that it is not possible to open the folder Ringtones and select the file with the player "Music".
I am not quite sure but I think someone previously on this device tried to add a tone and chose to open a file with Music - perhaps Complete action using , chose Music and tapped Always (?) .
I wished I could do like with Windows , be able to open file manager , find the folder , open it and select the file.
How to solve this in Android ?
thank you

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum.

Which phone are you using? On some (maybe many?) Android phones custom ringtones and Notification tones have to be in specific folders on the Internal Storage, not the SD Card. I use a custom ringtone on my Moto Z Force for phone calls and the file has to be in the folder named Ringtones on the phones internal storage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Ron Wolpa

Ron Wolpa

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
alcatel pixi 3 35
The trouble here is that once inside Settings > Sound > Ringtones & Notifications and I tap "Add" , it opens the player "Music" (3.3.0133.0) - music APK com.jrdcom.music Versions List | Android Apk.
This application only finds files that are inside mp3 folders where I store my album collection.
I have other ringtones stored on my SD Card that are in use , so I don´t think it really matters whether it is located on the internal storage or SD card.
Is there a way to make the system forget the application "Music" to open files when Add function is used ? I have installed Poweramp , which is the player I use daily , with this application it is possible to create a ringtone from a mp3 file.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think you "open" the files from there. You open the app that you want to use that custom tone and select it within that apps Settings

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk