True Google phone in early 2010?

dberthia

Reaction score
The Google Phone Is Very Real. And It’s Coming Soon

The debate over Droid v. iPhone rages on, but lots more Android surprises are on the way. Get ready for the Google Phone. It’s no longer a myth, it’s real. The next “super” Android device will almost certainly be a HTC phone that’s much thinner than even the Droid or iPhone – The Dragon/Passion. This is the phone the senior Android guys at Google are now carrying around and testing, at least as of a couple of weeks ago. If you’re willing to give up the Droid’s keyboard, the Dragon/Passion is going to be a really cool phone. It should be fully available very soon.
But it isn’t the Google Phone. Everything up until now has just been a warm up to the Google Phone.
Way more interesting are the rumors we’ve been hearing for months about a pure Google-branded phone. Most of our sources have unconfirmed information, which we describe below. But there are a few things we have absolutely confirmed: Google is building their own branded phone that they’ll sell directly and through retailers. They were long planning to have the phone be available by the holidays, but it has now slipped to early 2010. The phone will be produced by a major phone manufacturer but will only have Google branding (Microsoft did the same thing with their first Zunes, which were built by Toshiba).
There won’t be any negotiation or compromise over the phone’s design of features – Google is dictating every last piece of it. No splintering of the Android OS that makes some applications unusable. Like the iPhone for Apple, this phone will be Google’s pure vision of what a phone should be.
That’s it for confirmed, super-high confidence information, which frankly isn’t a whole lot more than we all heard back in late October. But we also have a few more details as well that we’ve gathered from a number of sources. Everything that follows we still consider to be just well-sourced rumors:
One source told us that HTC, a Taiwanese company, is building the new Google phone, but we think that information is incorrect. We have some fairly good information that suggests Google is working with a Korean phone manufacturer on the Google phone – LG or Samsung. Samsung has multiple parts in the iPhone and could be pressured by Apple not to work with Google, which says LG is the more likely partner for Google. So rumors like this one may be much more important than they first appear. But either way, the best information we have right now points directly at Korea as the birthplace of the Google Phone.
We’ve also heard from a good source that Google is planning a big advertising push around the device early next year – like January.
That’s all we have for now. We don’t yet know what the device will look like, how big it will be, or even if it has a physical keyboard. But we do know that Google is getting into the phone building business directly, and doesn’t seem too concerned about competing with all the other device manufacturers building Android phones.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's about time, but really...

Google should buy HTC :D

thestappa

Reaction score
Meh. That's how tech works these days. Always something bigger and better within a few months. Can't get caught up in that.

LordKastle

Reaction score
A google phone is a monopoly phone. I can deal with using a Motorola device that links with an Android OS and Google applications but being an outright slave to Google is questionable in my opinion...and thats what would happen using a device strictly developed by them.

Another thing to keep in mind is it would be developed by a 3rd party company such as Samsung which would surely like to make a profit but was not in the same position as Motorola was. Motorola was on its back and had to come out with a device that would stand the test of time with current generation phones.

If the Droid failed then Motorola would have folded or scaled back completely. There is a reason why the Droid has the quality build it does and the effectiveness to combat the iPhone. Motorola had no choice but to go all in and risk everything.

DaHarder

Reaction score
Meh. That's how tech works these days. Always something bigger and better within a few months. Can't get caught up in that.

More often than not, newer tech is merely different, rather than better.

My DROID does all that I require of a smartphone, and will remain my primary communication device for at least a year (or so).

Happy DROIDing

Tumaz04

Reaction score
Really excited to see what Google has in store. On top of that, LG makes some pretty damn good products.

romeov

Reaction score
Heh, this is pretty standard.. in a year or two we'll be remembering when we came to a forum for the old slow Droid phones :)

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I read this as well but honestly, it doesnt bother me at all. Any of the new features Android gets for the "gphone" we will be able to get on the droid. Really it just comes down to preference about hardware and case design.

If google really does make a "gphone" i do expect it to be a very nice looking phone and probably very similar hardware wise to the Droid as google was very involved in the Droids design. If anything you could think of the Droid as unofficially the first "gphone" since its called the google experience.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
POST said:
The Google Phone may be a data only, VoIP driven device. And Google may be lining up at least AT&T to provide those data services for the Google Phone, says one person we spoke with today.

If that's true, welcome to the beginning and end of the google phone. If AT&T has ANYTHING to do with the google phone, I won't.

Not only that, this article :

Gphone would paint Google a hypocrite | Unfiltered

Paints it how it really is. Now if the device stays data only then that's another story, but if they really are trying to do anything with AT&T. :icon_eek:

Last edited: