Troubleshooting and fixing your unique SSX problem

HarleyDude

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all, HarleyDude here. I work over at DXF, and quite a few of us are loving SSX. I've been helping our members with their SSX issues, and posted this at DXF and alldroid, and figured this might help some here also, and maybe take some of the pressure off Chevy. The less time he spends answering, the sooner we get a new version.
Anyway, a lot of people seem to have unique issues that I and/or others cannot reproduce, so I've put together a little troubleshooting.fix list.

For the most part, the following would be the steps I will recommend to troubleshoot and fix your issue. These steps go from the least disruptive to most disruptive.
Make sure you followed the install directions. Hopefully, you did a data wipe/factory reset and a dalvik cache wipe before the install. This has already been determined to be the cause of many issues.
Make a current nandroid and TiBu backup. Do it NOW

Note: After running each step below, check to see if problem still exists

1. Reboot your phone, always the first thing to try (almost no effort or time involved)
2. If it's with an individual app, uninstall and re-install the app and reboot the phone again
2a. Remove any custom themes
3. Boot into recovery>advanced>wipe Dalvik & cache (extra long boot time after this)
4. Re-flash the SSX ROM (also fairly easy, with minor disruption)
5. Do a data wipe/factory reset (obviously disruptive)
6. Re-flash the SSX ROM
7. SBF back to Froyo
8. Reinstall SSX-you should now be golden

Post-flash
If you've done the data wipe or SBF, you now need to get your apps/data back, using one of 2 options (advanced restore or TiBu).
First, make a new current nandroid, if restoring apps/data screws something up, you won't have to start all over again.

Easy and quick restoration (has worked for some, including me, not so well for others, including STG)
Reboot into recovery, go to restore>advanced>restore data partition and use the nandroid you made before step one above. If the problem was in the system, this will work. if the problem was in the data partition, this will re-introduce the problem, so it's good you followed the instructions and made a new nandroid

The other option is to restore your apps and data with your current TiBu backup. Do it selectively, a dozen at a time, and verify your original issue is not re-introduced

Some of the one-off issues that have been seen and fixed over at DXF
Themes not sticking on reboot (fixed by data wipe)
LED light settings grayed out and not working (fixed by SBF)
Bootanimation script not working (fixed by data wipe)
Wallpapers not setting
Couldn't turn on GPS (fixed reboot)

Last edited:

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks HD. this should help those that are having some problems with SSX 2.0

ChevyNo1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks HD - big help here as well :)

Top_Droid

Reaction score
Constant FC's

I just flashed the prep file and then SSX. Got everything up and running, and when doing veryious things it says "android.pricess.media has stopped unexpectedly" and FC's. I cant look at anything in the market, or do a bunch of regular things

Please Help

fritzboyle

Reaction score
SSX bug fix first steps

The first couple steps actually helped with a few of my issues (android agenda widget and themes)

I am wondering about some other issues I am having that I thought I read elsewhere that others were still having. Namely:

• inability to view videos taken prior to flashing
  • the hard button camera not working
  • ADW not allowing me to return to home screen after editing screens (requiring reboot)
  • swype beta not installing correctly (I get the option to change input style, but it doesn't change the keyboard) effectively unusable
If there is a bug forum addressing these issues, please point me in that direction, or let me help guide others with my experiences in attempting to fix them.

By the way, thanks HD for putting these steps here as they definitely address many of the issues people are having. This is a fantastic ROM, the most stable and fast I have had experience with on the 2.3.x DX platform so far. I really think I will stick with it through release as long as we can address some of these last few bugs.

UserZen

OP
HarleyDude

HarleyDude

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The first couple steps actually helped with a few of my issues (android agenda widget and themes)

I am wondering about some other issues I am having that I thought I read elsewhere that others were still having. Namely:

• inability to view videos taken prior to flashing
  • the hard button camera not working
  • ADW not allowing me to return to home screen after editing screens (requiring reboot)
  • swype beta not installing correctly (I get the option to change input style, but it doesn't change the keyboard) effectively unusable
If there is a bug forum addressing these issues, please point me in that direction, or let me help guide others with my experiences in attempting to fix them.

By the way, thanks HD for putting these steps here as they definitely address many of the issues people are having. This is a fantastic ROM, the most stable and fast I have had experience with on the 2.3.x DX platform so far. I really think I will stick with it through release as long as we can address some of these last few bugs.

UserZen

Videos taken prior to SSX won't play on SSX, you can move them to your PC and convert them with a video converter then move them back. I believe the hard camera button doesn't work, but it's junk and I never use it. I think I saw something about swype over at droid x forums, we do have a bug thread there

OP
HarleyDude

HarleyDude

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just flashed the prep file and then SSX. Got everything up and running, and when doing veryious things it says "android.pricess.media has stopped unexpectedly" and FC's. I cant look at anything in the market, or do a bunch of regular things

Please Help

What did you flash it over, and did you do all the requisite wipes? I've found the most stable install comes from installing over a fresh SBF and full wipe. The little extra effort is worth the results, but you can start by following the steps in the OP to see if that helps

ontarget.js

Reaction score
Great rom chevy, really enjoying your work. Is there any way to change the density for the screen and the fonts in this rom

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
HarleyDude

HarleyDude

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great rom chevy, really enjoying your work. Is there any way to change the density for the screen and the fonts in this rom

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

To change LCD density, you can edit your build.prop or there are apps on the market that will do it for you
If you want to edit yourself, change the stock setting of 240 in the following line. I run at 200 on my X

ro.sf.lcd_density=240

Top_Droid

Reaction score
I just flashed SSX for the second time. It's running a lot better this time around, but for some reason when ever I get a text message it plays some weird song as like a ring tone till I open the notification bar. I've tried changing the system default ring tone and the notification tone of my sms. But it's still doing it. I'm not sure how to make it stop.

Please help

Sent from my DX running SSX on DroidForums

fritzboyle

Reaction score
convert video files for SSX playability

Videos taken prior to SSX won't play on SSX, you can move them to your PC and convert them with a video converter then move them back. I believe the hard camera button doesn't work, but it's junk and I never use it. I think I saw something about swype over at droid x forums, we do have a bug thread there

convert the files to what, exactly?