Trouble with google maps after upgrade to 2.1

soops

Reaction score
Maps vs Navigation

Are you in navigation car home mode? I don't have my phone w/me, but I thought you must be in navigation car home mode in order for the screen to move as you moved on the maps. In regular maps mode you will get updated but the screen does not moved.

markwebb

Reaction score
Are you in navigation car home mode? I don't have my phone w/me, but I thought you must be in navigation car home mode in order for the screen to move as you moved on the maps. In regular maps mode you will get updated but the screen does not moved.
Aaah..let me check! Where is that setting?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the response.

However, I think I need to clarify. The Map follows me but does not "move" with me. . For example, I click on "my location" and it correctly displays me on Road A. As I move on Road A, I watch my marker move along the screen. However, when my marker runs off the screen, the screen doesn't refresh or advance to the next grid. I have to swipe to see where I am. VZW Navigator instantly refreshed when I moved off the screen (was way cool when on Amtrak and watching the screens keep in time with 120 MPH streak down the track!). I would think if I am driving this could be dangerous as I must physically swipe each time I need to see a new screen as I am moving.

I understood you. I'm guessing my response was confusing because the way you want it to work is the way that I remember it working. I was going to test mine on the way home from work, but I stopped at the store and forgot to pull maps up when I left...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Zippster

Reaction score
My issue seems to be usually getting just over half way on the route and it starts with the Searching for GPS which then leads into locking up my entire phone, being on the road I dont have time to undo my case and pull the battery so it will sit frozen with an eventually Force Close screen for about 5+ minutes and then the whole phone will reboot. All this is since the 2.1 "update" My Droid was rock solid before..........:mad:

soops

Reaction score
Zippster, I too had this issue after my initial 2.1 ota update. I don't remember exactly who recommended it, but I uninstall google maps and reinstall again from the market and this issue went away, at least for me.

th9203

Reaction score
One other thought - I have found that if I "fiddle" with the map while using the navigation, the follow-me function stops working and the map stays where ever I moved it to manually.:icon_eek: I think that the only way to undo this is to hit the return key.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One other thought - I have found that if I "fiddle" with the map while using the navigation, the follow-me function stops working and the map stays where ever I moved it to manually.:icon_eek: I think that the only way to undo this is to hit the return key.

If I remember correctly, if you move around the map while in navigation, blue arrow (similar to how you show up in follow me) shows up. I believe it's in the bottom left, inside a grey box. Clicking that brings the view back to following you along your path.

deadernie

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue. Also tried using my gps test app and it showed satallites in view but droid was not locked onto them. First noticed this last Saturday. It worked on Monday. And on Tuesday it did not. WTF??

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember that GPS on the Droid is assisted. In my experience, getting a fix at one point in time doesn't guarantee that you'll get fixes at other points in time. Be prepared to power cycle and possibly reactivate if your receiver has problems locking.

One other thought - I have found that if I "fiddle" with the map while using the navigation, the follow-me function stops working and the map stays where ever I moved it to manually.
Maps will do this too. You have to hit My Location again if you mess with the map.

Last edited:

micp1480

Reaction score
Well, I have the best one ever. I am thinking of getting a new Droid based on what I find out here. Google maps is tracking me on the right road but I am going the opposite way.

MICP 1480

deadernie

Reaction score
E
Remember that GPS on the Droid is assisted. In my experience, getting a fix at one point in time doesn't guarantee that you'll get fixes at other points in time. Be prepared to power cycle and possibly reactivate if your receiver has problems locking.

What's it assisted by?

I did unisall the latest update and it worked all night last night. Tried updating maps app again and can't get a lock on satillite.

Last edited:

johgas

Reaction score
was having same problem, with long > 10 minutes to lock on, turned phone off then on problem now gone.