Trouble with battery life.

Nezdude87

Reaction score
I used to get what I thought was an insane amount of time on my extended battery while on GB, 20ish hours with moderate use. I normally got 12 or so with my standard battery, wasn't too shabby. Since the update, I've been getting 12 or so with the extended and 4ish on the standard. This has been going on for a while now, and I was just wondering what I could do. I've done factory resets, battery calibrations (for both, thought maybe they were bad but it's highly unlikely since they both drained post-ics), and I monitor the battery constantly. After the factory reset this last time, and calibrating the battery (charged overnight with power off after draining to 10%), it's doing a bit better. These screen caps are with the standard battery, notice the kernel at the top. It was never on top with GB, so I was thinking there was something wrong there.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130115_160459.png
    ForumRunner_20130115_160459.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 340
  • ForumRunner_20130115_160520.png
    ForumRunner_20130115_160520.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 343

drew96dawg

Reaction score
The kernel is at the top with nearly all post ics phones. Going from gb to ics was a huge leap and android is doing more to be as customizable as a pc which is naturally going to use more resources and cpu time.

What is the average temperature of your phone? Heat from over multitasking is a huge killer of battery life. Also, your phone is aging and will continue to become less and less efficient; I noticed this with my droid2 and towards the end I was getting 1 hour and 10 minutes of screen time on the lowest brightness setting.

Sent from my vzw Galaxy Note 2

diablo81588

Reaction score
How long have you had the extended battery? Could just be the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

drew96dawg

Reaction score
How long have you had the extended battery? Could just be the battery isn't lasting as long as it used to.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thats what I thought at first but he said the accelerated drain is occurring with both batteries. They do lose their ability hold a charge as they age.

OP
Nezdude87

Nezdude87

Reaction score
I don't think it's the batteries. The phone itself is 6 months old (got it free with a plan at the end of its run with Verizon), and the extended battery is about 4 months old.

It does get hot from multitasking. Maybe ICS really is just more demanding. It's not a big deal, but I've seen guys post on here and other forums showing the battery life I used to get with GB with ICS.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
You could buy another battery just to see if that helps. Theyre 7.89 on amazon for a stock battery

Tegamal

Reaction score
I bought my Bionic on Day 1, got the Extended Battery at the same time. I noticed when running .223 & such, I was getting pretty good battery life & a great running phone. Now that I have been on OTA ICS (stock rooted), there are times when i get that great long term battery, then other days it keeps getting really warm & running the battery down really fast.

Today is one of the latter. It's my day off, so I've been home, connected to Wi-Fi most of the day, minus 2 hours when I was out & about running errands. Around 3:30, I had to plug my phone in, because I was at 40%. Got it back to 100% around 6pm EST, been doing work on my laptop when I noticed my pocket getting warm again. I'm now at 70% & I haven't done anything on it since charging. The only time I really used it was this morning using "Reddit is Fun", then I sent some texts to my wife (using voice to text).

I've tried holding the Home key & swiping all apps closed, but it still seems like something is running constantly, but no idea what it could be.