Triple Trifecta - Mac/Lotus Notes/Droid

bmcneely0

Reaction score
I currently have a Blackberry and am eligible for my Verizon new every two in a couple of months. I'm considering ditching the BB and going with the Motorola Droid. However, for work I use Lotus Notes 8.5.1 on a Macintosh (OS X 10.6.3). Does anyone know of any products that would let me sync my contacts and calendar between Notes and the Motorola droid? I've seen several solutions for Windoze but haven't seen anything for Mac. Thanks.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
I think your title is a bit redundant:)

Sorry i dont have anything constructive to add to your post.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Blackberry and am eligible for my Verizon new every two in a couple of months. I'm considering ditching the BB and going with the Motorola Droid. However, for work I use Lotus Notes 8.5.1 on a Macintosh (OS X 10.6.3). Does anyone know of any products that would let me sync my contacts and calendar between Notes and the Motorola droid? I've seen several solutions for Windoze but haven't seen anything for Mac. Thanks.

OK first the real goal is to get Lotus Notes over to Gmail. Droid is a Google phone so that's the first task. Moving your calendar is doable as well

I think Lotus Notes to Gmail is the biggest issue. I found two links: Gmail IMAP and Lotus Notes 8 - ask-mark.com and How I moved to Gmail | Lotus Notes | Brent Muir.

To do your calendar you would go to google calendar (you'll need to set up a google account) and sync your iCal to Goggle Calendar.

Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

Your phone will sync with Google Calendar and Gmail.

Hope that helps.

OP
B

bmcneely0

Reaction score
Hookbill,

Thanks for the help. After I thought about this some more I realized I was going about this all wrong. I keep forgetting that Droid syncs with Google (doh, so used to synching with my enterprise BB server its a different mind set). So like you said, the real goal is to get from Notes to Google and let the Droid phone just do its thing. Anyway, being on a Mac seemed to be the biggest stumbling block. I kept looking and found syncnotes2google - Project Hosting on Google Code which is an OpenSource java based utility to sync a Notes calendar to a Google Calendar complete with a shell script from here Issue 20 - syncnotes2google - Running on Mac - Project Hosting on Google Code for Mac (or I suppose any *nix OS). I thought about it and I don't add a lot of contacts so that's easy enough to handle by exporting from Notes and importing into the GMail contact list. OK, so it isn't fully automagic and it doesn't have a sexy GUI, but I'm a command line guy anyway (though I think this GUI fad may be catching on :) ). At any rate, I think I'm satisfied and I'm going to hang onto those links because there's some good stuff in there. So I think I'm ready to make the droid move when the time comes. I just like to be prepared and this took way less research than I expected. Thanks again.

gil.batzri

Reaction score

I think you need to look at something more enterprise level. Most of the sync toys I have seen require agents to run, and most enterprise messaging environments are about as interested in you running agents on there servers as they are in you setting fire to their data centers.

The solution we are getting to roll out for our Notes environment is a product from IBM called Notes Traveler. It basically creates an activesync conduit from the Domino to your smart phone. I believe it supports iPhone, Android and WinMo.

This will basically bring the Notes system into your handset natively. It (from what I understand) will bring Mail, Contacts and Calendar into the device, dropping them in the appropriate spots.

It also has the advantage of not requiring anything on your Mac, it is all server based.

Check in with your messaging folks, they may be looking to implement this, or may have it in place already if you are lucky.

gil

OP
B

bmcneely0

Reaction score
After I went to Verizon to get a Droid based phone I learned that my old Blackberry plan is much less expensive than their current plans (currently my Verizon cell and voip plan is $145. the new cell bill alone was going to be $130). So by sticking with a blackberry I was able to keep my much cheaper cell plan. Hopefully it will be less cost prohibitive in the future. In the mean time the enterprise folks are looking at a more robust solution for android phones so we'll see if they and Verizon's pricing structure reach a harmonic convergence.