Traded the Maxx HD for the S3

supermandrew

Reaction score
I loved the Maxx HD's form factor. I liked its Android Interface. It was quick as hell. Reception was great. Battery life was awesome (averaged 28 hours with heavy usage).

However....the camera...SUCKS!! Motorola actually managed to take a step backwards moving from the Maxx (which I had previously) to the HD. Primarily, low light photos were unusable. Heck, even photos with slightly less light were inconsistent. That is actually the best way I can describe the Maxx HD's camera...inconsistent. I know it is silly to exchange a phone for this peripheral feature, but for my particular usage it matters.

Anyways, I am happy with the exchange. I've had the phone for a little over a week now and so far so good. Reception is fine (which I was slightly worried about), battery life is good enough, interface is fine (touchwiz actually has some handy features), and overall it has been a solid device. A couple things I have learned about it along the way. 1: Scrolling through the stock gallery is slightly lagged in relation to finger-swipe speed, and movement of the actual photo. Download "Gallery ICS" which is the stock ICS gallery and it is much faster. 2: If the home button is slightly delayed to respond, disable the double press to launch S-Voice and that does the trick.

I hope this helps anyone debating getting either of these devices. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be happy to help.

les017

Reaction score
I appreciate the input as these 2 would be among my choices. Had OG Droid and Bionic and the camera really is a typical Motorola disappointment. Hard to believe this is still not being addressed.

GoBears

Reaction score
I came to the GS3 from the Maxx and the camera is so superior its not even funny. Motos cameras are just awful. Combine the camera with the encrypted bootloader and its a deal breaker for me. Never going Moto again until they improve on their cameras.

OP
S

supermandrew

Reaction score
Ya the camera is absolute garbage. I too cannot believe they bypass this feature, but at the same time tout the 8MP camera feature as one of its assets. The way I describe it is if you could combine the build and interface of the Maxx HD, and the camera quality of the S3, you would have the ultimate phone.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
try Magnify in the play store, absolutely blown away at the macro capabilities of this phone. PERFECT picture of my fingerprint from about an inch away from the lense..you will be amazed.....

OP
S

supermandrew

Reaction score
try Magnify in the play store, absolutely blown away at the macro capabilities of this phone. PERFECT picture of my fingerprint from about an inch away from the lense..you will be amazed.....

Tried it. Did not help my issue. The macro capabilities was never my problem with the phone. The low light, and more distance you put between the phone and subject was the problem. Combine all of these factors and there was nothing helping what is just not that great of a camera.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I have an S3...wasn't talking about the moto, just was amazed at the quality of Sammy Camara

OP
S

supermandrew

Reaction score
I have an S3...wasn't talking about the moto, just was amazed at the quality of Sammy Camara

Oh! My bad. I misunderstood. Now that I think of it I have not tried that app on this phone yet. This phone camera is probably the best I've used yet. Pretty impressive. I have been shooting photos of my two year old all day, and have some 8x10 frameable stuff. It is not that this phone takes a great picture, but it takes a FAST great picture. Good times.

Androidatic

Reaction score
I came to the GS3 from the regular Razr (via a 6 month detour with an iPhone 4s) and the camera on the GS3 is awesome. I still prefer the signal strength on Moto phones though. The screen on the GS3 is much better as well.