Touchy subject, your thoughts??

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I expect the occasional freeze and need to reboot with all my Android devices. They are just phones and nothing is perfect. With that said if you start having this problem on a daily basis then an exchange is needed.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Pumaro

Reaction score
Occasional is the something that happens once in a great while. If it becomes an everyday issue something else is going on.

My og Droid was having severe issues from all of the apps installed. It would take four or five swipes for me to slide the screen. Icons took forever to populate the home screen. Screen would get locked up everyday it would even reboot from time to time.
I knew the apps were the culprit. My og droid use to run faster but as I loaded it up with apps, it started to act up.
Heck even my $4000 MAC book pro locks up every now then.

sent via ThunderBolt

stonedoubt

Reaction score
I have been an Android app developer for almost a year now (and a developer for over 16 years). I can honestly say that my experience has been that 99% of the time the issues that users have are their own fault or the fault of the manufacturer. A perfect example is my chroniX Radio app. Literally 95% of users having an issue with the app are using Sprint EVO (or similar - like the Epic 4G) phones. But... of course, it's always the app's fault right? As a developer, I have to live with idiot users giving my app a 1 star rating and posting ignorant comments.

My guess is that the OP has too many apps installed or has done something to cause the issue on the phone. I have 4 Android based phones in my house and most of the time when my wife or daughter have an issue it's because they installed too many apps (typically, they run out of internal memory because facebook puts everything in internal memory).

I NEVER have any problems with my phones (I have this Thunderbolt and a Droid for my business number).

You may not like my response... but it's mine... thx for reading it.

EDIT: I should note that I also use my phones for development testing... if I can do that and not have many problems... well... I don't know what to say lol.

Last edited:
OP
Sethman29

Sethman29

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses, i guess i jumped the gun there a little bit. Just seemed like it would be my luck that i got the dud out of the group. But maybe i didn't

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I too find it interesting that a $700 device would have a random reboot here and there and issues with the touch screen not working correctly. Coming from my OG Droid, I knew that electronics aren't perfect. I work in the IT Business and have since 2005. I know computers are picky things and if they worked perfectly, I wouldn't have a job fixing them or repairing them. That said, I've had my Thunderbolt restart on me 2 times since I got it on the release date. Yeah it bothers me, but I figure nothing is perfect. I'm someone who will try to fix it himself before taking it back. My phone is a keeper imo, and since I've rooted, I haven't had 1 restart or issue with touchscreen.

champaned_out

Reaction score
Some of you seem ignorant and blind about consumer electronics... First off ANYTHING that's mass produced will have a few defective units.. its always been like that...just need to stop your crying and except that there's a chance you got a lemon product and return it for an exchange
2nd, if our having random reboots reformat your phone and sd card... If the problem goes away you'll kknow it was a USER error and not a defective unit...
I've had to reboot my tb a few times since I got it for various different reasons... And 100% of the time it fixed the problem... Does it mean my phones defective? No... It means it just needed a fresh reboot because my phone is working as well as the day that I got it

If you return your brand new phone because you had to reboot it once to claim a manufacture defect and get a refurbished like new phone youll regret it

Last edited:

slinky

Reaction score
Not trying to be funny but are you serious or just being sarcastic/funny? You rebooted once, right?

he is not a little paranoid, and he is not being sarcastic.
it's become the norm that products are being sold to consumers not completely baked thru properly. and this is not right, especially for the money a modern smartphone fetches these days. $ 500 + for something like a mobile phone is twicefold the price of the device manufacture costs, and manufacturers/carriers make their money back within a month or 2 of service provided (including the discounted cost of the device), if that -- as a matter of fact, carriers want you to see the retail price to make you think that the discounted price is a favor or something. at the volumes we're talking about, a device like the thunderbolt would probably cost verizon less than $ 300 to get from HTC.

so i find it blasphemous that i have to deal with random reboots and other such quirks on my phone, when i know what i'm holding in my hand costs about $ 450-$ 500.

that's a monthly payment on a car, or half the average mortgage monthly payment.

why should we then deal with glitches, leaving it up to the customers and tech savvy folks to try to figure out workarounds and fixes to manufacturing/software defects, pure BS.

good on those returning their devices to carriers when there is an issue. because that shows them we are not guinea pigs

Man im so glad somebody understands what im talking about, thank you your post is very much appreciated. Like you said, you would think that for as much as the tb costs and the fact that its a "high-end" device that we should not have to put up with the bs. Like he said we are talking abt half a mortage payment here. For the price of this thing "retail" you can buy a very nice laptop or ipad or any tablet that will outlive the phone. I dont think we are wrong for expecting quality im glad you guys chimed in.

My profile pic is not me, im just a big jokester
Respectfully -- truly -- My point is that you haven't even performed the simplest and most obvious of tests to determine a problem and you and someone else are talking about returning the phone because of "defects." Is rebooting the phone and seeing whether it happens again that much of a difficulty before questioning whether to label this a defect?

Don't get me wrong. I *completely* understand the fear involved of "do I have a lemon?" FYI - I had JuiceDefender installed on my phone for the first time. For some odd reason my phone would constantly disconnect and I thought it was the fault of a software manufacturer and possibly the phone. I did about 10-15 minutes of research using a well known search engine to find out that JD was turning off connections when the phone would turn off the screen. No defect. No software bug. User error. User corrected.

Just helping you feel better about your hardware man. :)

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Hey guys, so today my touch screen wouldnt work on my tb, so ofcourse i restarted the phone and it worked fine ( i forgot to mention is has been taken care of religiously, no flaws at all. Never seen a drop or a rain drop lol) But for all the money we paid for these dont you expect a little more? I do know bugs are here and there... Its okay this time but if i had to reboot the phone just to use my screen c'mon now. Would you guys request another if this became a habbit? Does anyone else have any flaws here and there on their tb??

All of us run into lemons every once and a while with our electronics. If it continuously happens, I would research some of the aps. And then take it back for a new phone. I'm sure Verizon will accommodate you.

Someone had mentioned that the phone costs 500+ originally, enough for a car payment / half a mortgage payment (not in my area though :), and comparable to a nice new desktop or tablet. This is all true. But 1)the phone in fact costs $200 brand new with a two year contract, and the technology of the phone will support this duration 2) you are paying for the service quality of the phone on a monthly basis, and the fantastic technology you get to play with. I personally would never consider purchasing this phone for the retail price, and unless you have money to throw down, I would never recommend going this route. Thats the whole enticement of the two year deal; the added incentive of getting a great phone at a manageable price. But since you're binding yourself to the two year contract and in return are getting a pretty advanced phone, I think the deal is sufficient. At the very least, I plan on selling this phone eventually before it's worth little (via ebay) and upgrading to a newer phone when the time comes, but thats just my personal preference.

All technology has hiccups. If you reset it and its better, excellent. If you need to factory reset and return to stock form, do so. If it still has problems, take it back.