Water Damage (AKA Beating A Dead Horse)

TampaCop

Reaction score
Hi, all. First off, greetings. First post here, but I've been a lurker for awhile.

Here's the deal, I upgraded to the Droid Razr when it became available. Since then, I have had 2 replacements believe it or not, both through Asurion. Both times the phone simply stopped working. Anyway, because I had 2 claims in a year, Asurion dropped me. The other night I was working and had to direct traffic in the rain. Not a big deal usually, and I never get too wet doing it. My phone is in a rubber case, and that, in turn, was inside a leather carrier on my duty belt. On top of it, I was wearing a raincoat, so there's no reason to think the phone could've gotten wet, with the exception of a 2 minute period I was outside without the coat on. I came across this site, ( Motorola Droid RAZR Teardown - iFixit ) showing where the water indicators are inside the phone and I decided to take a look. I gently removed the bottom of the rear case just enough so that I could see inside the phone, and sure enough, the water damage indicator sticker is all red, showing water damage. Now this phone is supposed to be "water-resistant", so I don't see how being in the rain for 2 minutes, inside 2 separate cases, AND under a poncho, could allow enough water to get in, but is it possible that the constant in and out of my police car from A/C to the FL humidity day after day triggered the sticker? Even so, would that be enough to make these phones stop working? I REALLY don't want to spend $649.99 on a new phone, but, even more so, I would hate to replace the phone at full retail value, only to have the same problem occur again down the line. Help me out here, guys. I briefly considered simply sending this phone back to Asurion saying it stopped working, but if they open the phone, and I'm sure they will, they'll see the sticker and charge me. While I honestly feel that this is no fault of my own, I'm also not about to commit fraud by sending the phone in under a false pretense.

Rock. Me. Hard place. :angry:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
First off welcome to the forums and second thank you for what you do everyday. I was a police dispatcher for six years so I know you guys go through hell to keep others safe.

As far as the damage there have been a couple other threads suspecting that humidity could cause the water damage you speak off. I am in Austin, Tx and I worry about this same thing, going from my house or truck into 100+ degree heat with full humidity.

Like you said these phones are water resistant but that is more for a few light drops rolling off the case and they are by no means water tight unfortunately. You would imagine the poncho would keep all water from getting to your belt, I guess by the time you checked it everything was dry?

Possible that some water got caught in there and soaked into the phone, but more likely you created the perfect storm so to speak for moisture from the elements to build up inside the phone. Maybe you can sell it for parts on CL and then in turn get yourself one off there as well.

I am going to have to pay full price next phone I get or get one off CL so I can keep my unlimited data, so I feel your pain on paying 600+ dollars on another phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

nikecar

Reaction score
Hey.. I'm in Tampa!!

I agree with the PP about the humidity. If this was done the Sunday before the 4th with Debby soaking us, under a poncho it can get nice and humid. I don't recal what color TPD ponchos are, but your black unis probably compounded the problem absorbing heat.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow.. ya know.. here's what I would do.... you're a cop, you were doing your job, and the device failed. Hmmmm. So much for motos claim of splash or rain resistant. I would call moto and explain the situation. Surely they don't want a professional grade device to let down a civil servant... this is just my 0.02.

Welcome to the droid forums:)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Call verizon. Your phone is under warranty, although the warranty does not cover water damage. Even so explain your situation... that you replaced your phone through Assurion not realizing you should have replaced it via your warranty and now are no longer covered. Explain that it seems like it has water-humidity damage with typical use and protected use but that you believe it should not have (it is possible the refurbished phone you had was not of the standard that a new one would be). Explain that you need a working phone especially for your line of work (thank you very much). Verizon prefers that you have a working phone so and do some amazing things.

Also, be aware that sometimes the rep is not able to authorize certain agreements but their supervisor is. Often times they will get their supervisor to authorize but if not, politely ask for their supervisor.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And what 94lt1 said! Try there first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums let us know how it works out for you .