Touchy subject, your thoughts??

Sethman29

Reaction score
Hey guys, so today my touch screen wouldnt work on my tb, so ofcourse i restarted the phone and it worked fine ( i forgot to mention is has been taken care of religiously, no flaws at all. Never seen a drop or a rain drop lol) But for all the money we paid for these dont you expect a little more? I do know bugs are here and there... Its okay this time but if i had to reboot the phone just to use my screen c'mon now. Would you guys request another if this became a habbit? Does anyone else have any flaws here and there on their tb??

slinky

Reaction score
Hey guys, so today my touch screen wouldnt work on my tb, so ofcourse i restarted the phone and it worked fine ( i forgot to mention is has been taken care of religiously, no flaws at all. Never seen a drop or a rain drop lol) But for all the money we paid for these dont you expect a little more? I do know bugs are here and there... Its okay this time but if i had to reboot the phone just to use my screen c'mon now. Would you guys request another if this became a habbit? Does anyone else have any flaws here and there on their tb??
Not trying to be funny but are you serious or just being sarcastic/funny? You rebooted once, right?

Pumaro

Reaction score
Not trying to be funny but are you serious or just being sarcastic/funny? You rebooted once, right?

I was thinking the exact same thing. All devices get rebooted for the occasional lock up.
Now the first thing to suspect would be any apps running on the phone. These Android devices are all open source so the apps are the first to take the blame.
So before blaming the phone return it to stock condition.
If you can demonstrate the issue in stock form you have a good case to.get a replacement.

sent via ThunderBolt

cpjr

Reaction score
If your doing it everytime you unlock the phone....ok, theres a problem.

It happened once.....it'll be ok. Not to sound mean, but yeah...your being wayyy paranoid.

zero7404

Reaction score

he is not a little paranoid, and he is not being sarcastic.
it's become the norm that products are being sold to consumers not completely baked thru properly. and this is not right, especially for the money a modern smartphone fetches these days. $ 500 + for something like a mobile phone is twicefold the price of the device manufacture costs, and manufacturers/carriers make their money back within a month or 2 of service provided (including the discounted cost of the device), if that -- as a matter of fact, carriers want you to see the retail price to make you think that the discounted price is a favor or something. at the volumes we're talking about, a device like the thunderbolt would probably cost verizon less than $ 300 to get from HTC.

so i find it blasphemous that i have to deal with random reboots and other such quirks on my phone, when i know what i'm holding in my hand costs about $ 450-$ 500.

that's a monthly payment on a car, or half the average mortgage monthly payment.

why should we then deal with glitches, leaving it up to the customers and tech savvy folks to try to figure out workarounds and fixes to manufacturing/software defects, pure BS.

good on those returning their devices to carriers when there is an issue. because that shows them we are not guinea pigs

Last edited:

coldhardtruth

Reaction score

it's become the norm that products are being sold to consumers not completely baked thru properly. and this is not right, especially for the money a modern smartphone fetches these days. $ 500 + for something like a mobile phone is twicefold the price of the device manufacture costs, and manufacturers/carriers make their money back within a month or 2 of service provided (including the discounted cost of the device), if that -- as a matter of fact, carriers want you to see the retail price to make you think that the discounted price is a favor or something. at the volumes we're talking about, a device like the thunderbolt would probably cost verizon less than $ 375 to get from HTC.

so i find it blasphemous that i have to deal with random reboots and other such quirks on my phone, when i know what i'm holding in my hand costs about $ 450-$ 500.

that's a monthly payment on a car, or half the average mortgage monthly payment.

why should we then deal with glitches, leaving it up to the customers and tech savvy folks to try to figure out workarounds and fixes to manufacturing/software defects, pure BS.

Agree 100%

Sent from my Ultimate 2.3.3 Incredible

OP
Sethman29

Sethman29

Reaction score

it's become the norm that products are being sold to consumers not completely baked thru properly. and this is not right, especially for the money a modern smartphone fetches these days. $ 500 + for something like a mobile phone is twicefold the price of the device manufacture costs, and manufacturers/carriers make their money back within a month or 2 of service provided (including the discounted cost of the device), if that -- as a matter of fact, carriers want you to see the retail price to make you think that the discounted price is a favor or something. at the volumes we're talking about, a device like the thunderbolt would probably cost verizon less than $ 300 to get from HTC.

good on those returning their devices to carriers when there is an issue. because that shows them we are not guinea pigs

Man im so glad somebody understands what im talking about, thank you your post is very much appreciated. Like you said, you would think that for as much as the tb costs and the fact that its a "high-end" device that we should not have to put up with the bs. Like he said we are talking abt half a mortage payment here. For the price of this thing "retail" you can buy a very nice laptop or ipad or any tablet that will outlive the phone. I dont think we are wrong for expecting quality im glad you guys chimed in.

My profile pic is not me, im just a big jokester

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Pumaro

Reaction score

Random reboots? Take it back.
As for the other things mentioned, I think you are living in a dreamworld if you never expect to run into the occasional issue.

sent via ThunderBolt

zero7404

Reaction score
define occassional .... please.

ive owned my phone now for 4 months. ive spent 15% of my time on it trying to get it to function right. u can look for some examples by browsing the droid 2 discussions.

whether its android or the hardware i cannot tell, im a skilled pc user and have been able to bring up the sys log of the phone, which tells me i have a bunch of buffer overflows going on in the background .... whether this is a hardware or software flaw i dont know. what i know is they are associated with android .com apk's.

ive ran into situations where i cannot use the phone as a phone when i needed to. and this is much more common for smartphones than for non-smartphones.

this has always been the history of the computer-powered world.

posted via android

drew

Reaction score
The apps are the first to blame, but consider that they are (usually) 3rd party, aren't really policed by anyone and subject to poor design / development. Let's say one of the apps have a memory leak, or is a huge resource hog that affects the overall performance of the phone.

It's no different than a computer. If you spend $1000 on a PC, are you mad that you have to reboot it every once in awhile?

As the other poster said, take it back to stock. Also - be aware that we are on the first 4G phone for Verizon. Living on the bleeding edge is going to make you bleed yourself, at least a little. Being an early adopter of technology means you have to put up with some of the niggling issues that maybe weren't fleshed out in the design room.

Two days ago, I had to pull the battery from my Thunderbolt because the phone was acting up. After that battery pull, things have been fine.

It was the exact same thing with the Droid 1 when it came out. You just need some patience and be able to look at the big picture. If after some time you are rebooting your phone / pulling your battery daily on a stock phone - then yes - you have some problems.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It happened to the OP one time. Wow that was quite a rant. And as far as returning the devices every time you have an issue, that is not the right thing to do. Most issues can easily be fixed. It's just like any other device, stuff happens from time to time.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up the thread. Comments about someone's looks are not necessary. Keep that to yourself.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What people don't understand is that they're cramming more and more features into smaller/thinner devices so the odds of having small glitches is normal. Constant issues then return.

cpjr

Reaction score
Show me 1 piece of electronics that will function 100% properly, 100% of the time and I will call you a liar.

The point being....yeah, everything "hiccups" from time to time.

And like Droid-Xer said, these devices keep getting smaller, but at the same time specs keep going up...its to be expected. Overall, I think they all perform amazingly well considering.