Touchscreen Appears to be broken... Advice on Getting it Fixed??

Natedogg

Reaction score
Sad day.

Called a friend today and tried to push the red phone button to end the call. Nothing happened. It wouldnt hang up. I ended up having to knock out the battery.

Did a bunch of diagnostics (finally testing the screen with touch test app). It turns out about a quarter of the touch screen is no longer responsive. I have no idea why. I think it just malfunctioned.

So what do I do now? I looked around and checked my warranty, and it looks like the phone is covered for one year for stuff like this, but I have a few questions.

1. Any way this is a software rather than a hardware issue? I really don't think so.

2. Will Verizon fix it? Or give me a new one?

3. Should I just take it to the Verizon store? Or call?

4. My phone is rooted and I'm running a rom. I should pry do a factory reset, or whatever, to get it looking like stock. If I do that, I won't have any trouble, Right? (please spare me the moralizing). :)

5. If verizon agrees to replace my phone, any chance I can pay a bit more money and upgrade to a droid 2 (I am the second, not primary, line on a family plan)?

6. Real short in the dark here: any chance Verizon will let me pay extra so I can upgrade to a r2d2 droid 2??

Thanks for all the help.. I love my droid and am pretty bummed. However, if i get it repaired or get a new one, I will still be pro droid.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks droidforums!!

dancedroiddancedroid

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sad day.

Called a friend today and tried to push the red phone button to end the call. Nothing happened. It wouldnt hang up. I ended up having to knock out the battery.

Did a bunch of diagnostics (finally testing the screen with touch test app). It turns out about a quarter of the touch screen is no longer responsive. I have no idea why. I think it just malfunctioned.

So what do I do now? I looked around and checked my warranty, and it looks like the phone is covered for one year for stuff like this, but I have a few questions.

1. Any way this is a software rather than a hardware issue. I really don't think so.

2. Will Verizon fix it or give me a new one?

3. Should I just take it to the Verizon store.

4. My phone is rooted and I'm running a rom. I should pry do a factory reset, or whatever, to get it looking like stock. If I do that, I won't get into trouble, Right? (please spare me the moralizing). :)

5. If verizon agrees to replace my phone, any chance I can pay a bit more money and upgrade to a droid 2 (I am the second, not primary, line on a family plan.)

6. Real short in the dark here: any chance Verizon will let me pay extra so I can uprade to a r2d2 droid 2??

Thanks for all the help.. I love my droid and am pretty bummed. However, if i get it repaired or get a new one, I will still be pro droid.

dancedroiddancedroid
Not sure about anything you just said, but if your already rooted then you should try a different rom... that will tell you if it is software or hardware. (i suggest physically flashing it back to native unrooted 2.0. If the touch screen doesnt work then you wont be rooted and youll be able to know if touchscreen works. if it doesnt work then take it back, my warranty is out sadly though, as i purchased mine on day 1...

OP
N

Natedogg

Reaction score
Sad day.

1. Any way this is a software rather than a hardware issue. I really don't think so.

2. Will Verizon fix it or give me a new one?

3. Should I just take it to the Verizon store.

4. My phone is rooted and I'm running a rom. I should pry do a factory reset, or whatever, to get it looking like stock. If I do that, I won't get into trouble, Right? (please spare me the moralizing). :)

5. If verizon agrees to replace my phone, any chance I can pay a bit more money and upgrade to a droid 2 (I am the second, not primary, line on a family plan.)

6. Real short in the dark here: any chance Verizon will let me pay extra so I can uprade to a r2d2 droid 2??

dancedroiddancedroid
Not sure about anything you just said, but if your already rooted then you should try a different rom... that will tell you if it is software or hardware. (i suggest physically flashing it back to native unrooted 2.0. If the touch screen doesnt work then you wont be rooted and youll be able to know if touchscreen works. if it doesnt work then take it back, my warranty is out sadly though, as i purchased mine on day 1...

Went back to stock... a section of the touchscreen is still unresponsive.

Pity.

Found this thread re: "trading up" on warranty. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ced-but-theyre-out-stock-store-warehouse.html

I wonder the technical reason for why part of the screen stopped working. Has this happened to everyone else?

OP
N

Natedogg

Reaction score
FWIW... Took it to the Verizon store today in DC. Lady glanced at it, checked the dot behind the battery to see if I'd got it wet and then gave me a refurbished one.

I asked if I could pay more or give her a "tip" to get a droid 2...

No dice.

But I'm happy I got my droid back. Now just have to re-root, etc, etc.