touch screen not nail-friendly - or is it? help?

pennypritty1

Reaction score
Is it possible to sensitize the touchscreen to press buttons by your fingernail and not the pad of your fingers? the keys are smaller than my fingers and I'm getting frustrated pressing the wrong keys all the time... :mad:

G

Grimster

No. This is a capacitive screen and far superior to the junk resistive screens that are on cheap touch screen phones.

OP
pennypritty1

pennypritty1

Reaction score
I don't know what that means but I do get your point ... it does not allow you to adjust its sensitivity for nail depression vs. finger depression. thank you, Grimster.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
I use my nail sometimes if I'm trying to click on a small link on a cluttered screen

JBag

Reaction score
then you have a magic nail with some sort of current running through it for it to work on the droid.

OP
pennypritty1

pennypritty1

Reaction score
Really? I try and it doesn't acknowledge. Did you sensitize your screen or something?

JBag

Reaction score
the screen itself requires some sort of current to recognize an input on the touchscreen, capacitive vs. resistive. resistive requires pressure in which case you would be able to adjust it.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
Really? I try and it doesn't acknowledge. Did you sensitize your screen or something?

No. I guess I should clarify.. I think it's 50/50 nail and fingertip. I don't have long nails--I'm a male. lol. If anyone has ever navigated with the screen when links are tiny and scrunched up closely, you have to figure out a way to make it work.

OP
pennypritty1

pennypritty1

Reaction score
okay, thanks, zero. I'm female :) and it's a bit frustrating not being able to use them on the virtual keyboard. I'm a very fast typist and it's frustrating going so slow trying to hit the right virtual key...

OP
pennypritty1

pennypritty1

Reaction score
Personally I don't know that having a sensitive screen to the fingernail should be considered inferior but everyone has their own opinion. I just wish this were more nail-friendly. Since it's not, I will have to make it work somehow... :(

I'm not doing well with the droid so far.

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm

I was wearing a pair of leather work gloves and unlocked the phone,scrolled contacts and made a phone call....

Snaz

Reaction score
Personally I don't know that having a sensitive screen to the fingernail should be considered inferior but everyone has their own opinion. I just wish this were more nail-friendly. Since it's not, I will have to make it work somehow... :(

I'm not doing well with the droid so far.

I have squared off medium length nails and find I can use the corners of my nails faster on the physical keyboard than the pads of my fingers....its comparable to the speed of the landscape screen keyboard.....good luck finding what works for you...

SoCal65

Reaction score
CAPACITIVE TECHNOLOGY
touch2.gif

RESISTIVE TECHNOLOGY
touch1.gif

Capacity senses electrical interaction with finger tip.

Resistive simply senses pressure.

mivok

Reaction score

For those who don't use fingernails to type with, a capacitive screen (the one that doesn't work with fingernails) means that you don't have to press hard on the screen, whereas the screens that work with fingernails require you to press hard on the screen, and it can get annoying/uncomfortable to use very quickly. With a little practice, you can easily hit the right target using just fingers instead of fingernails, but it is a matter of opinion - it just so happens that if you don't use fingernails, the capacitive screens are much better.