torrenting on droid X (help please)

JWDX

Reaction score
Guys, play nice.

This forum does not advocate theft of any kind. Violating your TOS is your choice, and we will happily help you root your phone for any number of reasons, but outright theft is not condoned. Period.

As for playing back any kind of video, regardless of source, keep in mind these devices are limited in the kind of video playback offered. Also, the CPU is fairly weak. As such, don't expect a lot of formats/compression routines to work.

okay so im new to droid got it about 4 days ago I LOVE IT. but another question for ya i hear this alot "rooting" what does that mean?

This will help with your rooting questions... What is rooting and why should I do it? The pros & cons of Android rooting

In regards to "pirating" - as stated in the thread, we do not support links to pirated apps or requests on where to obtain pirated material...

As far as torrents - there are some apps in the marketplace that may or may not assist in playing.. torrents - Search Android Apps on AppBrain and you might also look for like RockPlayer (?), which would support multiple media types...

If you root and then are able to get free WiFi tethering, isn't that stealing? Verizon set up the tethering to make money but from what I understand, rooting allows free tethering.

Not wanting to rock the boat here, just wanting to know what's legal.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon set up the Hot Spot Feature to make money and the discussion of how to hack that feature is not allowed on the Forum, as it is considered stealing - wireless tethering is completely different from the Hot Spot Feature that VZW put in place but it does have some of the same benifits - since wireless tethering does not hack a product that was put into place for the sole purpose of making money - it is open for discussion and not considered "illegal"

S-f-m-D

drunkclever

Reaction score
okay so im new to droid got it about 4 days ago I LOVE IT. but another question for ya i hear this alot "rooting" what does that mean?

This will help with your rooting questions... What is rooting and why should I do it? The pros & cons of Android rooting

In regards to "pirating" - as stated in the thread, we do not support links to pirated apps or requests on where to obtain pirated material...

As far as torrents - there are some apps in the marketplace that may or may not assist in playing.. torrents - Search Android Apps on AppBrain and you might also look for like RockPlayer (?), which would support multiple media types...

If you root and then are able to get free WiFi tethering, isn't that stealing? Verizon set up the tethering to make money but from what I understand, rooting allows free tethering.

yes, that could be stealing. But then there is the otheside of things.. wasn't free at first? then after the update(s) Verizon started charging for its use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JWDX

Reaction score

yes, that could be stealing. But then there is the otheside of things.. wasn't free at first? then after the update(s) Verizon started charging for its use?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think that the fact that something was free before has anything to do with the current status of charging a fee for a product or service. Many things were free on the internet in the beginning, but are now fee based.

In addition, I guess the information I'm getting on rooting is that it allows hacking or stealing but rooting itself is not illegal or considered hacking...yet.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Verizon set up the Hot Spot Feature to make money and the discussion of how to hack that feature is not allowed on the Forum, as it is considered stealing - wireless tethering is completely different from the Hot Spot Feature that VZW put in place but it does have some of the same benifits - since wireless tethering does not hack a product that was put into place for the sole purpose of making money - it is open for discussion and not considered "illegal"

S-f-m-D

Its funny how hackers beat around the bush...

Not trying to come down on you TP, but stop trying to make hacking sound innocent because its not. Hacking= Stealing... Pirating= Stealing

Period.

Wireless tethering does not hack a product that was put into place for the sole purpose of making money but does this make it right? Its still wrong and you would still breach your contract from Verizon if being caught. So obviously its not legal in the terms of VW

cpjr

Reaction score
Hacking= Stealing... Pirating= Stealing

Period.

That is wrong.

Depends on what you are referring to when talking about hacking. If you mean hacking your cell phone or rooting it....that is perfectly LEGAL.

Now, if you are trying to hack the FBI's mainframe, that would be ILLEGAL.

Also, hacking your cell phone is NOT in any way shape or form stealing.

Just because Verizon may not like it, doesnt make it illegal, they dont make law.

PS- Pirating does = illegal :)

joeybarclay

Reaction score
not all torrents are bad, people have used them to share files on this site. I use red torrent lite.

kennydied23

Reaction score

Period.

That is wrong.

Depends on what you are referring to when talking about hacking. If you mean hacking your cell phone or rooting it....that is perfectly LEGAL.

Just because Verizon may not like it, doesnt make it illegal, they dont make law.

Aww man I had a big post typed out ready to go but you beat me to it. But I'm going to post it anyway :)

I don't understand why people associate hacking with stealing. Hacking, in this case, is the process of liberating your phone to put custom roms on and to uninstall bloatware that is better off gone, also allows to change settings otherwise unchangeable, while piracy is downloading someone's work for free. They are two completely different things as hacking doesn't involve stealing somebody's work and enjoying it without compensation to the original author.
And yeah, the Library of Congress ruled it legal to root/jailbreak your phone.

TO THE OP: If you want to learn about rooting and roms, it wouldnt hurt to check out the roms link in my signature. There's a lot to gain when you root. dancedroid

cpjr

Reaction score
^Lol.

I think people find comfort in knowing (or wishing) that they are not the only ones doing wrong. Hence the dramatic extensions of what is or isnt legal/right.

kennydied23

Reaction score
^Lol.

I think people find comfort in knowing (or wishing) that they are not the only ones doing wrong. Hence the dramatic extensions of what is or isnt legal/right.

Well I'm a criminal justice major and I like proving myself right sometimes when i have the knowledge about whatever the discussion is. So shoot me :p

And I've never felt I've done anything wrong ever since I joined this forum.

Big Fate

Reaction score

Period.

That is wrong.

Hacking true definition= to devise or modify
Not Illegal if you are the sole owner.

Now if you're speaking on terms of hacking into databases and what not it is Illegal. You have no privalege to do so, hense why you have to work around the kinks to get to your destination by hacking the password. I'm not speaking about innocent Roms, I'm speaking about hacking in the terms of this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...etropcs-internet-mss-working-now-its-not.html

Which is totaly illegal and why this site would allow this to be posted and not torrents I have no clue. But hey dont mind me, I'm just here to post and learn new things about my Droid X dancedroid

kennydied23

Reaction score

Period.

That is wrong.

Hacking true definition= to devise or modify
Not Illegal if you are the sole owner.

Now if you're speaking on terms of hacking into databases and what not it is Illegal. You have no privalege to do so, hense why you have to work around the kinks to get to your destination by hacking the password. I'm not speaking about innocent Roms, I'm speaking about hacking in the terms of this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...etropcs-internet-mss-working-now-its-not.html

Which is totaly illegal and why this site would allow this to be posted and not torrents I have no clue. But hey dont mind me, I'm just here to post and learn new things about my Droid X dancedroid

I see your point, but that's totally legal too. It's not illegal to hack your phone to a different carrier. You still pay for MetroPCS service, and if you're still in contract with Verizon then you pay them too.

texasPI

Reaction score
It's tit for tat. Android is an open operating system yet VZW and manufacturers put their bloatware and stuff on a device, trying to monetize the platform etc. I rooted so I could use adfree. I never use wifi tether. If I do, whatever. I think the point of the mods and admins of not allowing discussion of pirating protected content comes from the desire to avoid the pitbulls RIAA and the movie industry unleash on websites and other small operators to make an example of them.

One final thing....big LOL at the op. Dude, you're stating the hacking is piracy but then a few posts later ask what rooting is? Talk about being caught with your pants down buddy.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay, folks. Hopefully this remains civil. However, here's the final word as I understand it from discussions with the Mods and SuperMods and US law.

Rooting, aka hacking, your phone is legal. This is US law. Rooting your phone voids your warranty, but they can't cut you for for having done so.

Installing the Wireless Tethering app is legal. Using it is is legal -- however, it violates your TOS and Verizon can cancel your account and kill your ESN, rendering your phone worthless as a cell phone except for parts. Hacking the software to use an existing and copyrighted program is illegal. You don't own that software. It's the same thing as using a downloaded key to activate your copy of Windows. You're stealing the use of that program.

Is it a fine line? Yes. But it's not circumventing security to steal the use of said program.

So please stop the discussions about the legality. The ethics are up to you. :)

JWDX

Reaction score
If I root/change my cable box made by, say, RCA, and then receive HBO for free from Comcast, is that hacking/illegal? That's the way I look at rooting the droid. But like I said, I'm only asking because I don't know. I see a lot of opinions on this subject and I'm learning a lot, but I'm not sure everyone agrees.
I guess I could ask it this way. Can Verizon prosecute if you root and then tether for free? I understand that they can cut service, but if you have tethered for free for something like a year, can they sue for damages? Can you go to prision?
Probably something that's beyond the scope of this forum.