[TOOL] How to GAIN ROOT on SM-N900V while running MJ7

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Universal Root de la Vega v0.5 [KNOX 0x0 Root] - xda-developers
It doesn't specifically mention the note 3 but it says just about any non exynos Samsung phone with knox.

It was last updated yesterday.

I feel like I am wasting air with this response, as if you'd think that if Root de la Vega could have been a viable choice for us Note 3 Owners to gain Root, I would SURELY have spent my time, energy, and effort into explaining how to install it rather than the countless discussions and talks about Kingo and Knox/NFC and all the other sorts of things. The fact of the matter is that Root de la Vega was Root gained from a Bounty when our device was about 4 days old at the time of the release. Our software was running version "MI9", which the update to "MJ7" closed the Root Exploit. This gave us only two ways to gain new Root either Kingo or Vroot (I don't talk about Vroot it is bad news.)

I look at things this way, if you are that concerned about Root. Mine as well hold off. KitKat is coming up in about a month or so, there's no idea what kind of binaries or new bootloaders are going to be included in the next update with 4.4.2. Anything can happen, if a mass majority of users lose Root (this is good news for you) then the Bounties will raise again and Development will take off and this could lead to Root and an Unlocked Bootloader as it is a new OS, remember. Chances are good anything can happen. But, also playing Devil's Advocate here, keep in mind the Note 3 and S4 will be the first Samsung devices to get KitKat, chances are Kingo is not gonna save Root, and I wouldn't think Vroot. There will definitely need to be a Root method developed for KitKat going forward and hopefully KitKat can show enough enough vulnerabilities to create an exploit for adb so we can blow a hole and unlock this monster! I think it is a matter of preference, if an easy Root method exist then there is no one that wants to put any effort into finding an exploit. But, with KitKat, a new OS I think your gonna see more and more Devs start to surface... Thing is we Need a Place That is BOUNTY FRIENDLY, XDA IS NOT THAT PLACE ANYMORE... HINT!!! HINT!!!~

Just on a side note here to support "statement" ^^^^ For those that remember how quickly Hashcode got his Note 3, it was barely overnight and not to mention the funds raised were nearly 2/3rds over the asking amount... just saying....

squeak

Reaction score
This is from the XDA thread in DesignGears post:

"What devices are supported?
Just about every Samsung device with KNOX! (Excluding Exynos based devices)
Samsung has caught on and has started patching bootloaders, you can still root, but you will trip KNOX.
If you are running MJ4, MJ7, MK1, MK2 or higher you can still root, but you will trip KNOX!"

I'm by no means telling you that you're wrong, you are far more knowledgeable than I am and I'm grateful to have someone here who is as willing to help as you are. I'm simply telling everyone what led me to believe that it could possibly work for the Note 3.

Also count me in on a bounty for a reliable root and bootloader unlock.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Go back and re - read the (OP XDA Post mentioned in thread #46) click on the link that says "SM-N900V" which is the Verizon Note 3 variant the software version is "MI9". This method no longer works for us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

recDNA

Reaction score
I was all set to go before I saw the post about the hacked Google account. I have info on there that must remain secure.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
In all fairness if you want to keep something secure move it away from Google.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

recDNA

Reaction score
Too late. I could clear out Google drive but thousands of emails that might contain secure info. How in the world would I find the ones I need to delete? My mistake was opening a Gmail account and making it my primary email long before android phones even existed.

jetguat

Reaction score
Does the Kingo Method still work for VzW Galaxy note 3?
I've downloaded it.
Got it to install drivers, and connect to the phone. Then I see the following when I click "ROOT"
Waiting for device...
Checking USB Connection...
Fetching Scripts...
waiting for device...
downloading requisite files...
Checking ROOT status...
Waiting for Device...
downloading requisite files... (failure) this is as far as I get. sometimes it stops earlier

I've tried different USB2/USB3 cables. Dont really have an idea whats wrong. Read somewhere that Kingo has not been working since jan 30th. But not much confirmed there.

Help

recDNA

Reaction score
Not for now. Vroot works but I won't vouch for its safety.

jetguat

Reaction score
Not for now. Vroot works but I won't vouch for its safety.

Not for now (in response to Kingo does not work?)

you say you wont vouch for Vroot's safety. Would you have vouched for Kingo's safety? Read both are questionable. Then again are there ..any.. other options?

recDNA

Reaction score
Not for now (in response to Kingo does not work?)

you say you wont vouch for Vroot's safety. Would you have vouched for Kingo's safety? Read both are questionable. Then again are there ..any.. other options?

Kingo doesn't work so no need to vouch... I don't trust kingo or vroot

I think DE LA Vega works but trips knox

recDNA

Reaction score
I hear kingo works again?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2