Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well ...

I've went and done it. Rooted and loaded Safestrap and Custom Recovery. Used TriangleAway to rid myself of the annoying CUSTOM boot logo and all is good. Now I have a couple of quick SafeStrap Noob questions ...

Why does it state "SafeStrap: Disabled" when booting and at the RECOVERY or CONTINUE screen? Do I have to have a ROM SLOT active for that to not show? All I have is the STOCK ROM for now. Nervous about flashing a ROM when it says Safe Strap is disabled at boot.

Thanks!!

Yes you have to have one of the other ROM slots active for it to say enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
MTKcamera Installed on my phone when i was using the Kingo app to root.
Anyone else get this?

Edit: Although im not sure if it will take it away or not,
I did a factory reset in recovery.
Edit 2:
Sorry for hijacking the thread but is there anyway to make my note 3 back to stock after rooting and SS? (I did update to MJ7 while still stock)

This will do it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2483380

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Well ...

I've went and done it. Rooted and loaded Safestrap and Custom Recovery. Used TriangleAway to rid myself of the annoying CUSTOM boot logo and all is good. Now I have a couple of quick SafeStrap Noob questions ...

Why does it state "SafeStrap: Disabled" when booting and at the RECOVERY or CONTINUE screen? Do I have to have a ROM SLOT active for that to not show? All I have is the STOCK ROM for now. Nervous about flashing a ROM when it says Safe Strap is disabled at boot.

Thanks!!

Yes you have to have one of the other ROM slots active for it to say enabled.

Yep, Sydman is right, as soon as you flash a custom ROM in suggesting using the ROM Slot 1 Safestrap will be Enabled and that Robot will stop looking "hunched over" and more like "fried green robot" instead. I would suggest Flashing Beanstown106's JB Version 3 ROM it's pretty smooth and it has custom dialer which is something you wanted from the get go, here is the link. ★☞[Rom][4.3] Jelly 'Beans' - Build 3 [12/01/13][AOSP Themed][P900VVRUBMJ7]☜★ - xda-developers

ripper2860

Reaction score
Wow. Kachow (heh, that rhymes). You and Sydman are johnny-on-the-spot with the answers. You guys ROCK!!

Funny you should mention Beanstown ROM, I had downloaded earlier today and was just awaiting confirmation before flashing. One more thing, if you and Sydman don't mind ...

Is the flashing process w/ SafeStrap as follows?:

1. Place the desired ROM file on the SD or EXT-SD storage space
2. Boot into SS Recovery
3. Select and activate a ROM SLOT
4. Go to INSTALL and select the ROM to be flashed
5. Re-Verify the desired ROM SLOT is selected and active (not the STOCK SLOT)
6. Flash as you would normally via TWRP recovery

Is that all there is to it? Any other tips or traps to watch out for?

Thanks again guys. Off tomorrow due to ICE in the Dallas, TX area and I've got the whole day to play!! :D

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Wow. Kachow (heh, that rhymes). You and Sydman are johnny-on-the-spot with the answers. You guys ROCK!!

Funny you should mention Beanstown ROM, I had downloaded earlier today and was just awaiting confirmation before flashing. One more thing, if you and Sydman don't mind ...

Is the flashing process w/ SafeStrap as follows?:

1. Place the desired ROM file on the SD or EXT-SD storage space
2. Boot into SS Recovery
3. Select and activate a ROM SLOT
4. Go to INSTALL and select the ROM to be flashed
5. Re-Verify the desired ROM SLOT is selected and active (not the STOCK SLOT)
6. Flash as you would normally via TWRP recovery

Is that all there is to it? Any other tips or traps to watch out for?

Thanks again guys. Off tomorrow due to ICE in the Dallas, TX area and I've got the whole day to play!! :D

I just want to make sure you've created the Rom slot already ..I didn't see anywhere on previous posts that you've created the slot. ..

Starts around 6:57 part of video

Good video info on Safestrap [Thanks to boynamedstacy @ XDA]

[video=youtube;1C7OKDsfM-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7OKDsfM-Y[/video]

Once the slot is created... you will activate the ROM slot. . It should show green on top where it says slot. .. Don't forget you need to do your wipes before you flash beans as you want a fresh install. .

N3 tapa

ripper2860

Reaction score
Yes I have already created the SLOT, but did fail to include it in my steps. I appreciate the video and will certainly take the time to review it completely.

Also -- by performing my WIPES prior to installing the ROM, would that be the Cache and Dalvik cache wipe? My ROM slot is EMPTY at this point, or was the SYSTEM partition and all that copied from STOCK ROM Slot when the Custom ROM SLOT was created?

Again -- Thanks!!!

Edit: Wow. That video was quite good. Actually answers all my remaining questions!!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yup ..I always do my wipes (even though you don't have anything in that slot yet) ..I currently have Beans in slot 1 ...I actually have CleanROM in the stock slot...

Beans should be putting out update build tonight or tomorrow...

Here's another video for beans created by RootJunky

[video=youtube;S_Fyd2HOOxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S_Fyd2HOOxQ[/video]

perfectchaos

Reaction score
I have a question regarding this method. I've read through the thread, and I'm still a little unsure about whether or not knox 0x1 is tripped at all throughout this process. Even loading custom ROMs via SS does not trip Knox? Is this because the original ROM is never touched? I just bought my N3 the other day and did the OTA update. (What a noob, I know)

And maybe slightly off topic but I've seen conflicting answers. When Knox 0x1 is tripped, is the device prevented from receiving further OTA updates?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I have a question regarding this method. I've read through the thread, and I'm still a little unsure about whether or not knox 0x1 is tripped at all throughout this process. Even loading custom ROMs via SS does not trip Knox? Is this because the original ROM is never touched? I just bought my N3 the other day and did the OTA update. (What a noob, I know)

And maybe slightly off topic but I've seen conflicting answers. When Knox 0x1 is tripped, is the device prevented from receiving further OTA updates?

Knox is disabled on the Note 3 (period.) More so with the US carriers as it conflicts with the security of NFC, which all the carriers are working on some type of Wallet strategy whether Google wallet is going to win the ballot or if ISIS is going to win, or if something else is going to the claimed champ. The fact of matter is that Knox is disabled it is 0x0, there is nothing to worry about, in order to get it enabled it would take a system update which we would of course all know about and see coming, as rarely anything sneaks up on us here. So Flash away!

jsandy

Reaction score
When I open SU I get the following pop up

"Samsung KNOX has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and cause annoying popups. Try to disable KNOX?"

I have just hit "Cancel" because I've been afraid to mess with KNOX. If KNOX has been disabled (and I am certainly not questioning that) why is SU telling me that it has been detected? Is it safe for me to tell SU to try to disable it? Thanks.

J_Ransom2

Reaction score

"Samsung KNOX has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and cause annoying popups. Try to disable KNOX?"

I have just hit "Cancel" because I've been afraid to mess with KNOX. If KNOX has been disabled (and I am certainly not questioning that) why is SU telling me that it has been detected? Is it safe for me to tell SU to try to disable it? Thanks.

I allowed it to try. As KaChow said, KNOX is already disabled, so it shouldn't do any harm. When I allowed SU to try to disable it, SU simply stated that it succeeded, and that was the end of that. I checked my system afterwards and I didn't see anything triggered by KNOX.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score

I allowed it to try. As KaChow said, KNOX is already disabled, so it shouldn't do any harm. When I allowed SU to try to disable it, SU simply stated that it succeeded, and that was the end of that. I checked my system afterwards and I didn't see anything triggered by KNOX.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just as J_Ransom2 points out and as I've mentioned before Knox is disabled on our Note 3. This is not the case on other Samsung devices in the terms of Knox and how it works on other devices and also how SuperSU posts consumer warnings. Fortunately, for us we do not have those Knox concerns, instead we have others pertaining to SELinux... After you get Root, make sure to get Safestrap. BKDodger posted a few good YouTube links a couple of posts ^^^^, check'm out. :)

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
[OP] Has been Updated. I have added the latest zips of SuperSU which is version 1.80 if you have Root and do not have a copy, Please download and store this version as it has been updated for KitKat 4.4.

Also, Special thanks to BKDodger for his contribution to the thread with 2 Safestrap videos for Users, one video shows how to use use Safestrap the other shows how to install ROMs. Please make sure to visit this Root thread watch the videos, and enjoy your Verizon Note 3!:biggrin: