Took GB update without Unrooting...Stupid Mistake Didn't rewlize the Upgrade was OS

seank80

Reaction score
So basically I went ahead and did a noob mistake and i'm having an issue using any of the current GB root tools due to the superuser.apk that is still on my phone. I have been using the terminal emulator method to root the phone. But I can't of course unroot via this method now. I have searched every post and tried everything suggested and no luck. I don't want to reflash the phone. Is there any other method of manually unrooting this phone? I have no rights to do anything in my terminal emulator now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sean

- open your trusty terminal app
- you should see a $ symbol, now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
* rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- reboot your phone. Toda, no more root

thebird36

Reaction score
I think I read that you're going to have to sbf and then get the ota then root

cwilkins

Reaction score
Good news: Droid 2 after OTA GB upgrade *can* be easily rooted. You do not need to unroot, employ bootloaders, hard resets, or other such drastic stuff.

Bad news: Not by the methods you used for stock Froyo on D2.

I don't have a link handy, but it was a DroidX "one click" batch file that was the big breakthrough for me. ...but that only got me partway there. After running that batchfile, my apps still didn't have root, but I could run an "adb shell" and get a hash prompt at least. So from there I just did the last part of the manual D2 Froyo rooting process -- specifically, remounting root filesystem as r/w and copying the appropriate files (su, Superuser.apk, busybox) to internal memory. Then rebooted and was back to full rooted goodness.

Except... Wireless Tethering app now intercepted by GB/VZW. UGH!!

Last night, employed TeamBlackHat's manual NVRAM SEEM edits via RadioComm on a WinXP box and got the native tethering app to work. Yay!

Except... Why is it either/or? With Wireless Tethering App under rooted Froyo, both the apps on the phone *and* external devices got data access. So for example, WiFi devices could get to the Interwebs and Google Maps could help me with my nav needs *at the same time*. Now under rooted GB, when I turn on the hotspot, it disables data access for phone apps until the hotspot is shut down. WTF?

I can post more details this evening if anyone cares...

-cw-

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

thebird36

Reaction score
i don't think that was his question bro he updated to gb while he was still rooted on froyo and it won't let you root gb if you're still rooted on froyo

cwilkins

Reaction score
i don't think that was his question bro he updated to gb while he was still rooted on froyo and it won't let you root gb if you're still rooted on froyo

This may be one of those YMMV things, but what you're saying was not true for me.

I had stock rooted Froyo, got the OTA GB update and rooted that. Took me hours and lots of flailing, but I didn't have to unroot, install bootloaders or any such. Just needed to employ the D3/DX GB rooting method, not the old Froyo rooting method -- that's where my trouble was.

-cw-

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums