To buy a droid or not?

techchallnged

Reaction score
So, I am a little techno challngd but am looking at purchasing a new phone.

Must haves:
good camera
touch screen
no slide or flip
larger fonts

I have the voyager and do not want the chocolate. V Rep is trying to get me to buy the Dinc. I do love the look and can adapt to new features, but don't access email or FB via phone. Do like the sounds and descriptions of some of the apps, but hate the initial price of $200 for one phone and then have to pay $30 a month when I won't use options that much. How often does Verizon come out with buy one get one free? Should I wait until newer version comes out? My current phone is way old and starting to have issues, but can send it in for replacement with my insurance plan.

Mojo

Reaction score
Personally with the supply issues of the Droid incredible I would say bypass that device for now. You cannot go wrong with the moto Droid, but if you want the latest and greatest I would wait a month.. the Droid x is coming followed soon by the Droid 2. Don't worry about not being very tech savy they are all easy to use. And quite fun really! You will not be disappointed with any Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Incredible will be discontinued soon. There is a waiting list to get one. You said no slide so I guess you mean physical keyboard.

I would wait and see what next is coming out.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well if you want larger fonts, you can't change the font size, but obviously you will be able to see it easier on the Droid X's 4.3 inch screen.

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
I would recommend a Droid, it is fun and very customizable, but with the "no slide" limit, I would agree and say wait for the Droid X. If you don't want to spend $200 on a phone, I would say the Motorola Droid, which does have a slide out keyboard, but it is not absolutely needed to use the phone, my coworker never uses his keypad, and those are 150 with buy one get one free. As far as the incredible, you can choose that one if you wish, I finally ordered mine June 11, and they are telling me it will ship by July 9 at the latest. If you were to order it today, you wouldn't get it until the end of July. I would say go for the X, I wish I would have waited one more day until I saw more info on the X because browsing the forums for almost a full month everyday has made me have second thoughts about the Incredible.

kmo

Reaction score
Sounds like from your description you might not need smartphone.

kmo

Reaction score
Incredible will be discontinued soon. There is a waiting list to get one. You said no slide so I guess you mean physical keyboard.

I would wait and see what next is coming out.

Do you have some inside info on the Incredible? Yea, I've seen all the rumors floating around, I'm not buying into it. Look, all these 3g phones will be discontinued at some point. The new LTE Network (from VZW) will be coming soon (end of this year) so yea some of the 3g devices will go by the way side at some point. Doesn't mean it's happening now, won't be for some time to come. Big deal, it still performs as good as many devices out there right now. If you want a phone that will be there in a year from now, buy an iphone. At least apple will support it, hell it's there only flagship phone. VZW just does not have a flagship device at this point that will out live this new Android craze. When the 4g network (technically it's 3.9G) happens it will still be some time before all will benefit from it. VZW is positioning itself to obtain 4g devices that will work with the new network. Doesn't mean that all us 3g users will be stuck, they will still have to service the phones that are being used. It's just a shift to new technology that's changing things rather quickly. That's why we're seeing these really good devices being released and then they move on. Plus all the problems getting hardware parts for this device didn't help. It's all about the $$$ (profit) they will make while they get the new network phase in operation. Please, At&T can't even support their 3g phones let alone a 4g network. It will happen at some point that we will (I'm referring to smartphone users) all have 4g devices but when will it be a functioning network without issues, your guess is as good as mine. These phones are coming out fast and furious right now so get whatever suits your needs. We will all have outdated cell phones at some point, so what. We will move on to wherever technology takes us. It seems to me every time I see a post re: the Incredible's "pitfalls" it's always a MotoDroid user making the comment. Not trying to stir up the pot just an observation. We all want the "best" let's face it. Just not possible right now with VZW with all the changes coming. Who knows what idiots are making these decisions to continue or discontinue devices for VZW so all we can do is choose a phone that you like and be happy for a finite period and then move on. If you care that your phone won't be here in a year from now then just move to another carrier and get a phone that will have some longevity to it..or just wait it out and see where VZW goes with all this....Hope this doesn't start a war of words, just stating my personal opinion based on the research I've done. :)