Is buying a brand new droid a855 worth it?

lotuslizzi

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm looking for a new phone online and came across a great price on a brand new, still in the box motorola a855. I understand that this is an older model droid. My question is would it be worth it to buy? Since the phone is new (it is coming from a verified seller on Amazon), would it be updated at all? In fact, is that model even updated anymore or is it just so outdated that it cannot compare to the newer phones? I don't expect too much out of my phone and I'm not one of those people who has to have the latest and greatest technology, but I don't want it to lag or freeze obviously. I already have a data plan and Verizon contract but something happened to my old phone so I am looking for JUST the phone, not the contract. If I buy this phone new I am assuming it will come with the latest version of android platform...am I wrong to think this? Help! Amazon doesn't really tell me much about what the phone is running!

This is the item I am trying to buy. Maybe the description will be more useful to more phone-savvy types. Amazon.com: Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Android Cell Phone (no contract): Cell Phones & Accessories

lfylove

Reaction score
This is a solid phone but its very outdated. I just stopped using mine about 3 days ago because I upgraded. Don't expect any updates either its maxed out on capabilities unless u root and put custom rooms with alot of tweaks. I love that phone but I'd suggest spending a little extra cash on a more advanced phone.
My 2¢

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not brand new, it's most likely a refurb - though that can be perfectly fine - as long as it's a Moto refurb and not some 3rd party refurb.

It won't have the latest and greatest software. And it likely will have at least the occasional lag.

You should check out Swappa.com - can find some good deals on some "gently" used Android phones that are not tied to a contract. And you can get one that's more up to date than the Droid.

OP
L

lotuslizzi

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Apparently it is running Android 2.0 which I know is not what the current Droid phones are running. You're saying I would be stuck with 2.0 forever?

t35rk

Reaction score
Not worth it IMO. Look at used Dinc1 locally for nearly half the price. No lag.

Or splurge a little and get a used Dinc2 for under $200.

A clean esn is a must.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
Not worth it. The OG Droid, while one of the most influential phones Android has seen, came out in November of 2009 I think. Since it is that old the hardware most likely will not be able to support new software. Motorola has also stopped supporting it.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Apparently it is running Android 2.0 which I know is not what the current Droid phones are running. You're saying I would be stuck with 2.0 forever?

The droid 1 has Gingerbread

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

alphamalek

Reaction score
Def not worth it. Computer technology (smartphone techonology) is estimated to double its computing power every 18months. This phone tho good for its time is a dying product.