Activating Droid X on Verizon

coolarm

Reaction score
Hello All, I am planning on upgrading from my feature phone to a Droid X. I was hoping to buy this Amazon.com: Motorola Droid X for Verizon Phone - No Contract Required: Electronics from one of the sellers. What precautions do I take to ensure that this phone can be activated on verizon and that i dont have to pay the $30/month data package but use the wi-fi instead. I came across the concept of unlocked phones but the seller doesnt know if it is unlocked. Verizon says that I will have to pay $30/month irrespective of whether I buy it form Amazon or Verizon but I have heard of someone working around this ion the A855. Isnt this an option anymore? Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch and a happy new year! Shree

Reaction score
Hello All, I am planning on upgrading from my feature phone to a Droid X. I was hoping to buy this Amazon.com: Motorola Droid X for Verizon Phone - No Contract Required: Electronics from one of the sellers. What precautions do I take to ensure that this phone can be activated on verizon and that i dont have to pay the $30/month data package but use the wi-fi instead. I came across the concept of unlocked phones but the seller doesnt know if it is unlocked. Verizon says that I will have to pay $30/month irrespective of whether I buy it form Amazon or Verizon but I have heard of someone working around this ion the A855. Isnt this an option anymore? Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch and a happy new year! Shree

Without data, you cannot send texts or make calls. Why have a cell phone? Sounds like you want/need a tablet! :)

OP
C

coolarm

Reaction score
This phone is going to be used to develop and test apps. The wi-fi should be sufficient. I suppose even an unactivated phone will serve this purpose. Please correct me if I am wrong. However, if I can get my voice plan on it, I can put the phone to some extra use and keep my feature phone aside. However, I cant afford the data plan for now:( and hence, looking for a way around. Please let me know if this is possible. Shree

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
There's no way around getting a data plan if you activate a smart phone on Verizon, with the possible exception that phones released prior to September 2008 were at one time (and may still be) exempt from this requirement. You can activate the phone on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) without a data plan, and actually have them disable data to eliminate the chance of accidental use.

Contrary to what MyEntityRemains stated above, you can make calls and send/receive SMS WITHOUT data, however you will be unable to send/receive MMS.

I currently have an OG Droid and a Droid X on Page Plus, both with data disabled, and they call and send/receive SMS just fine.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No smartphone can be on the VZW network without a data package.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
No smartphone can be on the VZW network without a data package.
Yes, they can...as long as they did not require a data plan previously. This means it has to be an older phone...one of the last being the Verizon branded HTC Touch, VX 6900.
Anything after 2008 will require a data plan as soon as it is activated... htc-xv6900-dual-band-verizon-phone--white-.jpg

OP
C

coolarm

Reaction score
There's no way around getting a data plan if you activate a smart phone on Verizon, with the possible exception that phones released prior to September 2008 were at one time (and may still be) exempt from this requirement. You can activate the phone on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) without a data plan, and actually have them disable data to eliminate the chance of accidental use.

Contrary to what MyEntityRemains stated above, you can make calls and send/receive SMS WITHOUT data, however you will be unable to send/receive MMS.

I currently have an OG Droid and a Droid X on Page Plus, both with data disabled, and they call and send/receive SMS just fine.

The PagePlus is a very interesting option. It appears like, it can save me some serious money and yet give me more features. Thanks a lot!