Droid X Prepaid?

sanvona2010

Reaction score
Ok, so, my friend is wanting to sell me his Droid X for $120 which is pretty reasonable.

My problem: I don't have a contract.
My question: Is it possible to activate a prepaid number on the Droid X?

Please reply, as I am going to be buying this on Friday and I DON'T want to waste $120.

NOTE: I have a VZW prepaid phone number and I just want to activate the Droid with that number without a contract. Is it possible?
NOTE2: I do not want to flash. I do not want to change companies. I just want to effin' know if the above is possible without any of the aforementioned techniques.

MY RESULTS: Called Verizon. Impossible to get Prepay on a Smart Phone unless you wanna pay $30/month for a data plan. So, **** it.

Last edited:

DROOIID

Reaction score
What do you mean activate a prepaid number? I am guessing your friend will want to keep his number so activate it under your account, assuming you have a smart plan. If you don't you will have to activate it and pay the 30 extra for data per month (you won't have to sign a contract.) No way to activate an android phone under a nondata plan.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

csimo

Reaction score
Ok, so, my friend is wanting to sell me his Droid X for $120 which is pretty reasonable.

Please reply, as I am going to be buying this on Friday and I DON'T want to waste $120.

Yes, you can flash a Droid X to be used on Cricket. $55 per month gets you unlimited everything. Cricket uses much, but not all of Verizon's network.

OP
S

sanvona2010

Reaction score

Yes, you can flash a Droid X to be used on Cricket. $55 per month gets you unlimited everything. Cricket uses much, but not all of Verizon's network.

I have a verizon phone number. =/ I just want to know if I can activate the Droid with my VZW prepaid number.

sunny757

Reaction score
I would go with page plus, you don't get unlimited data, but you get the identical verizon network, google kitty wireless, she is a reputable independent page plus reseller, if you want unlimited then you need to go to cricket but I think that is only 1gb unlimited, plus a smaller network, if you can leverage your wifi and deal with 100 megs of data go with page plus

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
S

sanvona2010

Reaction score
I would go with page plus, you don't get unlimited data, but you get the identical verizon network, google kitty wireless, she is a reputable independent page plus reseller, if you want unlimited then you need to go to cricket but I think that is only 1gb unlimited, plus a smaller network, if you can leverage your wifi and deal with 100 megs of data go with page plus

I just wanna activate it pre-paid. Is it possible?
... Also...
I don't use data. I just text.
Yeah, I know, I just text so why want a nice phone? Cause I want my potential employers and co-workers to be impressed when they see me pull out my Droid.

sunny757

Reaction score
I don't see why not as long as the number is active, I would email kitty wireless and ask her to check your number, she will get back to you very quickly, if you directly to page plus you will not hear back as quick and they will want you to buy a page plus phone

OP
S

sanvona2010

Reaction score
I don't see why not as long as the number is active, I would email kitty wireless and ask her to check your number, she will get back to you very quickly, if you directly to page plus you will not hear back as quick and they will want you to buy a page plus phone

I don't want to have to go through a different effin' carrier, mate. I just want to activate the Droid using my VZW prepaid number. Is. This. Possible?

sunny757

Reaction score
Kitty wireless is a prepaid month to month service so you are moving from prepaid to prepaid, so if the port doesn't go through then you stick with your current provider, just email her and she can tell you the answer about activating the nbr

http://www.kittywireless.com/

Hope this helps

mtuchris

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they wont let you activate a smartphone without a data plan so even if they let you activate it as prepaid you will probably have to pay for data anyway. I know for sure that any phone that originated on a postpaid plan cannot be activated on a prepaid plan until it is at least a year old. I would call your local verizon store and ask them to know for sure. They can also look up the phone by esn # to tell you how old the phone is if your friend doesn't know for sure.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow...so many answers that are totally not pertinent to the OP`s original question. What part of this are you, Sunny, not getting? He doesnt want to swap to Cricket or Page Plus...he just wants to know if he can activate and use the Droid X on hi already existing Verizon Pre-Paid account...

If you dont know the answer, and obviously you dont, you should probably stop trying to sell him on any other service. What, do you get a finders fee for each person you send to Kitty Wireless?

OP, why are you asking a forum when all you have to do is call Verizon and ask them..takes less than 5 minutes to get a 100% verified answer.

sunny757

Reaction score
I had my samsung omnia i910 and droid 2 both on page plus cellular for over a year without having it on a data plan with verizon, I've heard of the one year rule, but I thought that applied to prepaid phones that were purchased with the prepaid plan, so you couldn't just buy a cheap prepaid phone ang month to month with a verizon plan vs prepaid verizon plan, either way its worth exploring since it doesn't cost anything to find out

sunny757

Reaction score
Don't get any fee just passing along a good svc

Good luck

OP
S

sanvona2010

Reaction score
Wow...so many answers that are totally not pertinent to the OP`s original question. What part of this are you, Sunny, not getting? He doesnt want to swap to Cricket or Page Plus...he just wants to know if he can activate and use the Droid X on hi already existing Verizon Pre-Paid account...

If you dont know the answer, and obviously you dont, you should probably stop trying to sell him on any other service. What, do you get a finders fee for each person you send to Kitty Wireless?

OP, why are you asking a forum when all you have to do is call Verizon and ask them..takes less than 5 minutes to get a 100% verified answer.

Never really thought of it... Thanks though. I suppose I'll just have to have more common sense. Also, thanks for being the first to actually answer my question. :blackdroid: