Titanium Backup

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place...I never know where to put some threads, but since it's related to hacking...

Does anyone know, if you backup just the green items and the white (user programs) items in Titanium Backup, then wipe data; when you restore will it also restore any additional email settings you have? I know it will restore sms/mms and their settings, but I'm really curious about email accounts.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Titanium restore apps and data. But mainly setting and info. If you have texts those will be wiped as well. It mainly is to keep you from having to reconfigure all your apps again (ie for handcent I have diff pics and notification for each person, if i wipe or flash a new rom I would either have to spend 20 mins redoing the settings or use titanium and restore data". Also if you use both astro and titanium you can restore apps and data while saving space on your phones internal memory.
You do this by backing up all apps with both astro and titanium. Then when its time to restore you go to astro to restore apps (your apps will be restored but now saved on your sdcard instead of phones internal memory). Then you go to titanium and just restore data only.
You must be rooted to use them though.

OP
L

liquidzoo

Reaction score
If you back up the selection called [SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage 2.1-update1 (on my phone) that is green in Titanium Backup, it will back up all of your SMS messages as well, not just the settings.

I'm not worried about space, just wondering if the method I outlined above (not backing up any of the red items) will restore email accounts so I don't have to reconfigure them, or if I have to back up one or more of the red items as well. Their web page is not clear on this, it only says that backing up and restoring everything is not recommended if you're changing to a drastically different ROM.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok I have not tried to back up that particular setting. But if that is what it says then it probably does. I know when I had helixlauncher 1 backed up it restored everything on my home screens. So it maye back them up.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I just donated via paypal to the author of Titanium Backup to get the license key...now what? Do I wait for him to email me, or do I email him asking for the key?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I just donated via paypal to the author of Titanium Backup to get the license key...now what? Do I wait for him to email me, or do I email him asking for the key?
That is correct, he will send you an email and you drop it into the root directory of your SD card, and next time you bring up Titanium Backup, it will know you have the registered version. Joel is usually very fast about sending the file out.

Also, you'll find it's the best program out there if you are like me and change ROM's as much as you change your skivvies.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the complete instructions..and yeah I am getting this now because I now have to list and redownload all of my stupid free apps because I switched roms. About 50 or so = \

voydas

Reaction score
Yeah you will receive an email shortly. Just wanted to drop in here to say that Joel the dev is very responsive and very very helpful. I had some difficulties with my paypal account and he was very helpful and understanding. Awesome developer and awesome program.

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a titanium backup of all apps and system files. If I do a wipe and flash a different ROM, I've got GSB 1.9, and then install Titanium Backup again and restore, will the system data from my current ROM conflict with a new ROM?

I'm wanting to flash a new one because GSB can't use Flash, and the only web video you can watch is on YouTube.

What ROM would you recommend flashing? A 2.2 one, 2.3 one? Thoughts?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Hi,

I've got a titanium backup of all apps and system files. If I do a wipe and flash a different ROM, I've got GSB 1.9, and then install Titanium Backup again and restore, will the system data from my current ROM conflict with a new ROM?

I'm wanting to flash a new one because GSB can't use Flash, and the only web video you can watch is on YouTube.

The Titanium Backup part is separate from the ROM part. Outside of downloading something for Gingerbread, then downgrading (or going higher if the dev hasn't updated yet), it won't affect it.
The easiest way is to go into "Menu>More>Create "update.zip". That way you can load the apps and data while in recovery mode. (Personally, I would recommend RZRecovery as it includes the best of both ClockWork Recovery & SPRecovery) If using RZRecovery (or CW), there would be no need to rename the file to "update.zip". Titanium will allow you to save it as something like "TitaniumBackup-3.7.2.zip" so that you won't confuse it with a ROM update.zip.

As far as ROMs, the 2.2 (Froyo) ROMs are more stable. The 2.3 (Gingerbread) ones have the higher chance for bugs. Find one that has things you like and try it out. Worst case, you flash a new one a few days later.

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Hi,

The Titanium Backup part is separate from the ROM part. Outside of downloading something for Gingerbread, then downgrading (or going higher if the dev hasn't updated yet), it won't affect it.
The easiest way is to go into "Menu>More>Create "update.zip". That way you can load the apps and data while in recovery mode. (Personally, I would recommend RZRecovery as it includes the best of both ClockWork Recovery & SPRecovery) If using RZRecovery (or CW), there would be no need to rename the file to "update.zip". Titanium will allow you to save it as something like "TitaniumBackup-3.7.2.zip" so that you won't confuse it with a ROM update.zip.

As far as ROMs, the 2.2 (Froyo) ROMs are more stable. The 2.3 (Gingerbread) ones have the higher chance for bugs. Find one that has things you like and try it out. Worst case, you flash a new one a few days later.

So are you saying that if I create a titanium update.zip file, I can flash a new rom then flash the apps backup afterwards before rebooting?

And do the froyo roms require flashing the gapps package after flashing the rom? And what about the xtr cache2cache script?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

Antob125

Reaction score
If i have apps frozen and go to create a backup does it backup the frozen crap? Will it effect my phonr if i go to restore afyer i do a wipe?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk