Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does that weird EVO calibration thing work with fast boot or does it have to be completely off. Also I don't think rooted users can do it as CWM always boots whenever I plug in the charger while the phones off.

Edit: I think I'm going to return the extended one and just buy a standard spare. I tried to live with how big the extended one but it's just too uncomfortable to hold.

Where do you buy a regular spare battery? I looked online but all I see is batteries for like $40 and I think thats a little too much for a regular 1400mah battery.

I just assumed they'd have it at the store lol. I know what you mean, the value of the extended battery is what initially made me want to keep it, but after a day of use it's just too uncomfortable for me.

Canefan

Reaction score
I just bought the Universal Portable Power Pack off of the Verizon site. It lists for $39.99

Its a 1420 mAh battery with a USB connector on it that you plug into the phone and it charges or powers the phone as if you had it plugged into the wall. It's very thin and has a LED readout of power remaining. I figure this will give an additional 5 or 6 hours which should be plenty for most people. I like this option instead of a spare because I don't have to remove the case or open the battery door to replace a drained battery. The battery door, unlike the D1, does not look like it was designed to be opened repeatedly.

Last edited:

AlexSB

Reaction score
Concerning #23 the deleting "Batterystats.bin", would this be after the very first charge and when you first turn on the TB?

My TB is coming in tomorrow, and I'm gonna fully charge it before I even turn it on. Is this when you would delete that file? Also should the TB be plugged in to a charger when deleting the file or off the charger?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

PikaCane

Reaction score
I've been on 3G all day (no 4G here till summer) and I'm at 38%, 23 hours 35 minutes off charger. Display is at 64%. Went to sleep with it at 98% at midnight; six am it was at 92%, so about 1% an hour with the display off. Thus far I can live with this; it's at least as good as my OG, which in its new WiFi life has started randomly turning its screen on...

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

lckyforme

Reaction score
Not Dead Yet

Well my phone made it all day Sunday with just one charge. I had phone calls texting and emails. I did the battery calibration, downloaded juice defender, turned off gps, wifi, and I dimmed the screen. It made it so I could keep the phone and now it's more than good enough. Try the calibration, it's a great thing!! dancedroid

Lisa

tu3218

Reaction score
How is juice defender working? I'm thinking of getting it but wanted to see how its working for anyone using it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

dondk

Reaction score
I just bought the Universal Portable Power Pack off of the Verizon site. It lists for $39.99

Its a 1420 mAh battery with a USB connector on it that you plug into the phone and it charges or powers the phone as if you had it plugged into the wall. It's very thin and has a LED readout of power remaining. I figure this will give an additional 5 or 6 hours which should be plenty for most people. I like this option instead of a spare because I don't have to remove the case or open the battery door to replace a drained battery. The battery door, unlike the D1, does not look like it was designed to be opened repeatedly.

I got the IMP500 5000mAh, which you can find on ebay or amazon (ebay is cheaper and you can buy direct from the MFG). Regardless, it is 5000Mah and you can get days of use from it. It also does not take a long time to recharge, which I like.

Canefan

Reaction score

I got the IMP500 5000mAh, which you can find on or amazon (ebay is cheaper and you can buy direct from the MFG). Regardless, it is 5000Mah and you can get days of use from it. It also does not take a long time to recharge, which I like.

I've seen that one and for me it's way too big. I like the one from Verizon because it's thin and I can charge the phone in my pocket when I'm not using it. Can't do that with the big one that's like a deck of cards. All I need is to get another 5 hours or so and I'm happy.

shaylinlea

Reaction score
How are you guys getting juice defender to run on the TB? I had the regular paid version, that kept force closin. I got the beta version which appeared to work even though the log was full of error messages....I could only stay in default mode. I had a rooted Og droid ran JD in advanced more no problem. Do you have to be rooted to run anything other than default mode?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Over 15 hours since unplugged, 56% remaining (estimated at over 7 hours left), stock 1400 battery:

Display 46%, Standby 13%, Idle 11%, WiFi 7%, Voice calls 5%, Android system 5%, Calendar 4%, Android OS 4%, Mediaserver 4%, Handcent SMS 3%, used Pandora for a little bit, but it didn't show up in the list.

Display at 23%, I'm in a 3G area, so I don't have 4G draining everything. Background data and autosync both on today, as well as GPS, WiFi on when at home always, couple calls and a few texts, got on internet, email, and facebook a little bit. Clearly I'm not having any problems like some people, but I only used the phone lightly today compared to normal use. I am confident I will not have problems making it through a whole day with it. It looks like I'll be getting over 20 hours some days.

Last edited:

want a droid

Reaction score
Over 15 hours since unplugged, 56% remaining (estimated at over 7 hours left), stock 1400 battery:

Display 46%, Standby 13%, Idle 11%, WiFi 7%, Voice calls 5%, Android system 5%, Calendar 4%, Android OS 4%, Mediaserver 4%, Handcent SMS 3%, used Pandora for a little bit, but it didn't show up in the list.

Display at 23%, I'm in a 3G area, so I don't have 4G draining everything. Background data and autosync both on today, as well as GPS, WiFi on when at home always, couple calls and a few texts, got on internet, email, and facebook a little bit. Clearly I'm not having any problems like some people, but I only used the phone lightly today compared to normal use. I am confident I will not have problems making it through a whole day with it. It looks like I'll be getting over 20 hours some days.
7h 23m since unplugged, 58% remaining, stock 1400mAh battery:

Display 73%, Cell standby 5%, Android System 5%, Phone idle 4%, com.htc.launcher 3%, camera 3%, Wi-Fi 3%, Android OS, 2%, Kik Messenger 2%

Been on WiFi for the entire 7 hours, display is at 2 hours. Sadly with 7 hours of 4G LTE with display on 2 hours, my battery would now be dead.

And I live in a strong 4G LTE area.

scaner

Reaction score
Today i have a much better ,after i calibrate my batery ...(did bump charge) lets see how its going next...wake up at 5.30 am..until 12 pm...gone 50%,so its cool,,not heavy use..email..text.internet on background.... so i will keep testing..Good luck to everybody..

CsonkaBear

Reaction score
Watching video, first battery low warning. 11:05pm. No charger since 7:30 am.

Still going. Where's the Energizer bunny? dancedroid

msuperbauer

Reaction score
Well my phone made it all day Sunday with just one charge. I had phone calls texting and emails. I did the battery calibration, downloaded juice defender, turned off gps, wifi, and I dimmed the screen. It made it so I could keep the phone and now it's more than good enough. Try the calibration, it's a great thing!! dancedroid

Lisa

Whats the "calibration thing" ?thanks in advance

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I'm at 33% now, it's been 8 hours since unplugged. I just had a 30 minute phone call, had sent some texts, fair amount of angry birds and internet use. I can't believe how well it's doing today compared to yesterday! Especially with no real change in settings. I didn't do a full calibration but I did fully charge it, reset it then let it go to green again the first time I charged it. Then I chafed it mid day in case t wasn't going to make it. Maybe they just need some time.