Tip: Vacuum your phones ear speaker

jrl9851

Reaction score
I noticed that the speaker on my phone had a bunch of crap in it. A friend of mine had the same problem and he blew it out really hard, now he's seeing dust under his screen. I don't know if this is a result of blowing into the ear speaker, but probably. I decided to take a little hand vacuum and vacuum out the speaker. Now it looks brand new.. :icon_ banana:

roflcopters

Reaction score
If dust gets under the screen from that, it wasn't sealed properly from the beginning and most likely would have happened anyway. This was the case with my first Droid. Got it exchanged for that very reason.

deputc26

Reaction score
I noticed that the speaker on my phone had a bunch of crap in it. A friend of mine had the same problem and he blew it out really hard, now he's seeing dust under his screen. I don't know if this is a result of blowing into the ear speaker, but probably. I decided to take a little hand vacuum and vacuum out the speaker. Now it looks brand new.. :icon_ banana:

I'd want a tiny little ant-sized vacuum for such an important and delicate operation.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed with above poster, the screen SHOULD be sealed so I'll let the warranty deal with it if it happens. Of course one needs to use common sense ANY time they use compressed air to clean something (as to blow debris out and not into devices).

WOW... that little vacuum is just hilarious... people will waste money on anything nowadays... there's NO way that thing provides enough suction to do jack---- :icon_ devil:

msblueline

Reaction score
USB Keyboard Vacuum

some of you might wanna check this out.

That would be great to have... Do I have to wait until Christmas though? LOL!!!

That sure looks like a nice little delicate piece of equipment to own.

I need to find one because my phone's ear speaker is getting little bits of dust in it too.

Nice find on that, thanks...

msblueline

msblueline

Reaction score
Agreed with above poster, the screen SHOULD be sealed so I'll let the warranty deal with it if it happens. Of course one needs to use common sense ANY time they use compressed air to clean something (as to blow debris out and not into devices).

WOW... that little vacuum is just hilarious... people will waste money on anything nowadays... there's NO way that thing provides enough suction to do jack---- :icon_ devil:

Now that you mention that, it does make me wonder where the dust would go while being used, or if there is a vacuum bag/filter involved... I think I would get the nickname "MONK" if I were to use that on a computer...

Still would be nice to have... Just to say I have one... LOL!!!

msblueline

eliassami5

Reaction score
LOL its a daily ritual of mine to suck the lint out of my speaker hole..its almost automatic now. I get some pretty funny looks when people see me sucking on my phone...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

it should provide enough power to suck up the lint in the ear piece. I don't use my regular handvac because i think it's a bit too strong. I'm afraid I might hurt the electronics within the earpiece, paranoid? maybe but better safe than sorry.

for now i roll up a piece of tape and just use a pair of tweezers and try to get the lint that way.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Now that you mention that, it does make me wonder where the dust would go while being used, or if there is a vacuum bag/filter involved... I think I would get the nickname "MONK" if I were to use that on a computer...

Still would be nice to have... Just to say I have one... LOL!!!

msblueline

I don't own one, but I might soon, didn't think it was only $5. My guess is that it's a filterless vacuum, like a Dyson, so all you do is pop it open and just dump what's in the compartment.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
it should provide enough power to suck up the lint in the ear piece. I don't use my regular handvac because i think it's a bit too strong. I'm afraid I might hurt the electronics within the earpiece, paranoid? maybe but better safe than sorry.

for now i roll up a piece of tape and just use a pair of tweezers and try to get the lint that way.

If your that worried (about it being 'delicate') than just go to radio shack or your local camera shop and pick up a cheap camera brush. Same price (or less) and will do a better job.
Will look like this:
Adorama Blower Brush - Blower brush

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

If your that worried (about it being 'delicate') than just go to radio shack or your local camera shop and pick up a cheap camera brush. Same price (or less) and will do a better job.
Will look like this:
Adorama Blower Brush - Blower brush

good tip, but if it's just a brush i got plenty of things similar to that, even a big ol' paintbrush.

my keyboard can get pretty dusty, i might invest in that vacuum, it's only $5 anyway, not a real wallet breaker.