Wet Droid? Cheap way to vacuume seal your phone

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
I recently read a post where someone suggested using a food vacuum sealer to suck the moisture out of your phone if it got wet. The suggested that you wrap the phone only(no battery, battery cover, or protective case) in a paper towel, then vacuum seal it. the logic it that the vacuum seal will suck the moisture out of the phone and the paper towel will absorb it.
I thought this was a great idea, but most of us don't have vacuum sealers at home.

Well your are in luck. Ziplock has released a vacuum starter kit. It includes a few bags and a handy pump that sucks all the air out of the bag. It works great for this purpose(and food!). I picked one of these up at walmart for around $4.00.:icon_ banana:

For that price you cant go wrong, and its nice to have for food anyway. Heres the link...
Walmart.com: Ziploc: Vacuum Starter Kit, 1 kt: Home Care

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Applying a vacuum will not draw out moisture IMO. Placing a vacuum seal on the unit while in there is the same anology as rice or dessicant ...

But if you put your phone in this before getting near water in the first place, the vacuum seal will prevent water from getting to the Droid (at least depending on how long, how deep and if you get a good seal):
Ziploc_snack_bags_snack_sz.jpg

OP
Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
well it sounded like a logical solution..... but who knows... its great to have in the house anyway. I use mine all the time for food

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
well it sounded like a logical solution..... but who knows... its great to have in the house anyway. I use mine all the time for food

Hey, my intent wasn't to come off harsh ...

It saves food because you are taking out the air which has all the stuff that hastens spoiling, of which moisture is only a fraction.

You would have to have something in the bag, like the paper towel (rice, dessicant) to draw the water, just having a seal on it and little to no air will not accomplish that.

Interestingly enough however, if you could get near to a true vacuum, you might get the pressure low enough for any moisture in it to boil off, I wonder the effect inside? :)

(Really wouldn't work well either)

OP
Cyrus6001

Cyrus6001

Reaction score

Hey, my intent wasn't to come off harsh ...

It saves food because you are taking out the air which has all the stuff that hastens spoiling, of which moisture is only a fraction.

You would have to have something in the bag, like the paper towel (rice, dessicant) to draw the water, just having a seal on it and little to no air will not accomplish that.

Interestingly enough however, if you could get near to a true vacuum, you might get the pressure low enough for any moisture in it to boil off, I wonder the effect inside? :)

(Really wouldn't work well either)

no offense taken... i just like to ziplock my droid before bed:icon_ banana: