Time without a signal 50%

dkelly701

Reaction score
There is an older thread in the Bugless Beast forum but I have had this problem using several ROMs so I am creating a new thread here. Whenever my phone is rebooted or I go from wireless back to 3g, this problem may pop up. I would estimate that it happens to me 30% of the time. I can fix the problem by switching to airplane mode and back again or rebooting. I am trying to figure out if this is a Android problem, Kernel problem, or baseband problem.

By the way, if you are not familiar with this problem, I would recommend that every time you reboot or go from wireless to 3g, you check to see if you have this problem. To check, go to settings, about phone, battery use and then press Cell Standby. You will see "Time On," and may or may not see "Time without a signal." I don't know why sometimes it displays "Time without a signal" and sometimes it doesn't.

I am curious to see if someone knows the cause of this and if other people are still experiencing this.

scottjb

Reaction score
I see the "Time without signal 50%" message all the time, even after cycling Airplane mode. I don't know what you mean by "go from wireless back to 3g." Is that a GSM function? Im on CDMA--I don't see a way to turn off 3G.

OP
D

dkelly701

Reaction score
Your 3g is for wireless data. If you turn on your "wireless" (your are getting your wireless data feed from a router), your 3g turns off because you don't need two separate data feeds at the same time. Look the status bar the next time you connect to a router and when the wireless symbol appears, the 3g symbol disappears and 3g is off. That is how I understand it anyway, so if I am wrong someone else chime in.

I am subject to get the error anytime my 3g status goes from off to on. This can be when I first turn the phone on, a reboot, airplane mode or when going from wireless back to 3g. A few minutes after any of these events, I check to make sure that it doesn't show 50%. If it does, I cycle from airplane mode and back to 3g and it corrects the problem and the 50% starts dropping.

I see the "Time without signal 50%" message all the time, even after cycling Airplane mode. I don't know what you mean by "go from wireless back to 3g." Is that a GSM function? Im on CDMA--I don't see a way to turn off 3G.

scottjb

Reaction score
OK, I get it. You're using "wireless" interchangeably for both WiFi and cellular data. Yes, my 3G symbol goes away when I connect to a WiFi router and comes back when I connect to the cellular data.

OP
D

dkelly701

Reaction score
Yea, it would have been less confusing if I used WiFi instead of wireless.

By the way, I don't remember if I had the option in 2.1, but in Froyo, you can turn off 3g through the settings menu. It is at settings, wireless and networks, Mobile Networks, and then a check mark to enable or disable data.

OK, I get it. You're using "wireless" interchangeably for both WiFi and cellular data. Yes, my 3G symbol goes away when I connect to a WiFi router and comes back when I connect to the cellular data.