Time to put an end to all this EFuse mumbo jumbo...

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Reality Check: Modding the DROID X may not lead to a bricked phone Boy Genius Report

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFUSE

So apparently, the Droid1 has an EFuse...

Thats why we can't root them, right? And why modding is dead on motorola?

Look, from the facts...not the hearsay, or the rumors...there is little to no evidence that this is what the EFuse is intended for. Theres an FM tuner built into the Droid1, but to this day, it still has no implimentation.

Sure the DroidX's bootloader is going to be tougher to crack, sure. uncrackable though, that remains to be seen.

So why are you rooted? So that you can customize stuff thats otherwise uncustomizable, or so you can tether, and so you can tweak the specs. That about sums up the bulk of the reasons.

The DroidX is fast as hell, right outta the box, so really no need to tweak unless thats just your thing. It's my thing, I know that, and I would love to do it...but right now, the DroidX is easily one of the fastest devices on the market bar none, if not the fastest...and its not even running Froyo yet people.

So you can't customize the notification bar...yet.

Tethering? Well tethering is something that we might all eventually have to snuff up to, and go ahead and foot the bill. Granted there are other providers that give this service for free...but hopefully one day big red will see the error in their way, and just give us back tethering for free (not like they ever gave it to us in the first place, we just kindda took it).

So, long story short, someone cried wolf. Simmer down...and like the article says...its just a phone.

brando56894

Reaction score
I thought I saw in a thread on here somewhere that the FM radio is actually for WiFi since the waves are actually in the FM band or something like that?

As for the eFuses: im not too worried about them since its not permanent and im sure we'll be able to reset them eventually, we eventually got RSD Lite which was supposed to be for moto techs only, right? The locked bootloader will take time to break but im sure it will be broken.

Prime example: The xbox360 was apparently "unhackable" and after a year or so it was found out that via a glitch in a shader the original 360s could be cracked, but you couldnt do much with it. Fast forward about 3 or 4 years, it is now possible to hack EVERY 360 that has a kernel below a certain version (I forget what version it was, I was into 360 hacking before I killed mine and spent the money for a new one on my droid lol), it just takes a lot of work via the JTAG exploit.

In short: the bootloader may not be unlocked tomorrow or a month from now, but it will be broken or bypassed eventually.

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
totally agree with you. Where there is a will there is a way.

The professor that tought me C++ had a good way of looking at things...No matter how encrypted something is, no matter how many redundant fail safes exist in software, it is hackable. You have to have the time, the patience, and the processing power. Even the CIA gets hacked.

Motorola...I hate to say it, but your not the CIA

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
worse thing to do is tell the hacking community it can't be cracked : )

This will bring them ALL out of the woodwork. Matter of fact they are at it right now lol

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Is Motorola's Droid X in danger of self-destructing? - Computerworld Blogs

Thought you peeps might be interested in this. Motorola themselves say that the efuses aren't there to brick the phone if it gets tampered with; their more of a fail safe to be sure that things don't go horribly wrong...i.e. like putting a muffler where your car expects there to be an alternator.

Also, Cyanogen himself doesn't seem to worried about it at all. Its just a matter of time. So script-kiddies and seasoned-vets alike, no worries, its just a matter of time.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If it can be Programmed, It can be Hacked.....

Craiger22

Reaction score
I thought I saw in a thread on here somewhere that the FM radio is actually for WiFi since the waves are actually in the FM band or something like that?

As for the eFuses: im not too worried about them since its not permanent and im sure we'll be able to reset them eventually, we eventually got RSD Lite which was supposed to be for moto techs only, right? The locked bootloader will take time to break but im sure it will be broken.

Prime example: The xbox360 was apparently "unhackable" and after a year or so it was found out that via a glitch in a shader the original 360s could be cracked, but you couldnt do much with it. Fast forward about 3 or 4 years, it is now possible to hack EVERY 360 that has a kernel below a certain version (I forget what version it was, I was into 360 hacking before I killed mine and spent the money for a new one on my droid lol), it just takes a lot of work via the JTAG exploit.

In short: the bootloader may not be unlocked tomorrow or a month from now, but it will be broken or bypassed eventually.

You must keep in mind though that the reason that the newer kernels on the xbox cannot be jtagged is because the newer update blew the efuses.

Personally,i think it is just a matter of time until a work around is figured out, but I know a lot of people have been working on xboxes with bad e fuses with no luck, so let's hope this is not the case.

rothnic

Reaction score

I think that person was confused. FM is transmitted from 87.5 to 108.0 MHz, longer wavelengths require a larger antenna(hence your headphones). Wifi is centered around 2.4GHZ, which is a much smaller wavelength.