Time stamp on text messages??

RJF1965

Reaction score
Hi - just got my new Samsung Nexus on Sunday...trying to figure it all out. How can I set up a time stamp for text messages? Right now, its only stamping the date, not the time. Any help appreciated.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Hi - just got my new Samsung Nexus on Sunday...trying to figure it all out. How can I set up a time stamp for text messages? Right now, its only stamping the date, not the time. Any help appreciated.

By default, I don't think this is possible. You would either need an alternative SMS client (handcent, gosms...or something along those lines) or if rooted, run a modified "stock" SMS client (which a lot of custom ROMs come with).

Chubbydog

Reaction score
Yea, I haven't figured it out yet either. You can long press on the message, and press view details to see what time it came through at, but that's the only way I've been able to see the time.

dhinged

Reaction score
Google apparently intentionally removed timestamps from the text messaging app, along with colored highlighting to separate users texts; both are in Hangouts though, wow, what a surprise.

They're manipulating their users into using their one-size-fits-all Hangouts app, which not only mashes everyone you contact through any Google service together, such as Google+ people you're following, developers in the Google app store you've chatted with through Gmail chat or Google Talk, and everyone you text through it.

So it's impossible to keep your phone number text conversations separate from your Google+ messages and your Gmail chat messages you do through Hangouts on the desktop. I have personal contacts there along with a bunch of random people half of whom I don't even recognize. Smart, Google. Keep it up.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You can always use a third party SMS App. Most I have seen time stamps and all you messages will be separate.

dhinged

Reaction score
You can always use a third party SMS App. Most I have seen time stamps and all you messages will be separate.

Yah I know, and they're all third parties who can view your contacts. I'd rather use Google, but they want me to use Hangouts rather than the simple already-exists app for text messaging.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Yah I know, and they're all third parties who can view your contacts. I'd rather use Google, but they want me to use Hangouts rather than the simple already-exists app for text messaging.
Try Chomp. They do not store your messages. Therefore, they can not read them.