Text Message Date & Time Stamp

dirtylittlejokes

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Destiny
I've been under the impression that SMS have a date and time stamp from when they are sent, not when they're looked at. So if my phone is off and I get a text and the next day I see the text message, shouldn't the date and time stamp be from when it was sent?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I used to think that but Now it's when they are received on the phone.

OP
D

dirtylittlejokes

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Destiny
So what you're saying that the date and time stamp reflect the date and time I look at the message?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So what you're saying that the date and time stamp reflect the date and time I look at the message?
They're reflected at the time and day your device receives the text.

So let's say a text was sent to you on Monday at 3pm, but you don't boot up your phone until Tuesday 9am. Then you decide to read texts at 10am. The time stamp should show Tuesday 9am.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're reflected at the time and day your device receives the text.

So let's say a text was sent to you on Monday at 3pm, but you don't boot up your phone until Tuesday 9am. Then you decide to read texts at 10am. The time stamp should show Tuesday 9am.
Don't know if it's still the norm but the sender used to be able to track when received vs when sent along with when read. I remember because 27th my craptacular service with Verizon I'd sometimes see texts weren't received until days after sent. There was a bit of a hullabaloo when Verizon stopped the ability for a bit until they reinstated it on their dumbphones.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Don't know if it's still the norm but the sender used to be able to track when received vs when sent along with when read. I remember because 27th my craptacular service with Verizon I'd sometimes see texts weren't received until days after sent. There was a bit of a hullabaloo when Verizon stopped the ability for a bit until they reinstated it on their dumbphones.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I think there's still an option to "request read receipt".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk