Time for a New Phone?

smark22

Reaction score
Walking into the Verizon store the other day, I noticed a deal going on stating that, if you have had your phone for 6 months, then you can upgrade to a smartphone for the 2-year contract cost. My phone, the LG EnV Touch, has a cracked screen and 75% of it is completely black, so I'm really tempted to upgrade to a Droid. First of all, would you guys recommend the Droid X or Droid Incredible? On the other hand, I have no dire need for one right now, and could wait to see what is released after the CES. The only issue I have with waiting is that I will be going to college next spring, and I don't really want to spend a ton of money on one of the new Droids coming out (4g, Dual Core, etc). All I really need is a new phone that will last a while and keep me happy with great internet use and helpful apps. Should I really wait to see what's coming out, or would buying an X or Incredible now just be the way to go? Thanks :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is the EnV a smartphone? If so you're SOL.

As for recommendations, I can strongly suggest the B10 DedHors phone. It's a bit over the top, though, as the boot animation is this:
BeatingDeadHorse.gif

If you want specs and information on the phones we can provide them, but for a straight up phone recommendation then you should go play with them yourself. After all, would you go buy a Honda Civic just because I said it was good? Or a Ford Focus because someone said they liked the paint job? :)

Beka27

Reaction score
I find this promo hard to believe. They are really upgrading people from feature phones to smart phones after only 6 months? Do you have other info about this?

(from Beka's DX)

CellZealot

Reaction score
The cost of the device is almost immaterial because they make so much higher profit margins on the data plan for smartphones. They want to have everyone on a smartphone plan and will make it increasingly attractive to move up to one with deals like this.

Thank Steve Jobs... :D

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yes I have heard of them doing this as well but it was awhile back I guess they brought it back....as for wanting advise the phone you need is the one you like the most opinions are like ***holes everyone has one but every phone is for diff people thats why theres so many just go play with them in the store and remember you have 30 days if you dont like it take it back and $30 they will give you another 1

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP you said you don't need one at this moment if I where in your shoes I would wait. All sorts of great phones are about to drop within the next month or so (following CES next week) that ANYTHING you get now is going to seem lame then. Why waste the upgrade credit. Just be patient.

http://www.vpforums.org/style_emoticons/default/BeatingDeadHorse.gif[/IMG]

:rofl3: HILARIOUS!!!!!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all, would you guys recommend the Droid X or Droid Incredible?
I wouldn't blindly recommend anything. Provide your needs/wants and we can give you meaningful recommendations.

Should I really wait to see what's coming out, or would buying an X or Incredible now just be the way to go?
Normally, I'd say waiting is pointless but LTE and dual cores are just around the corner. It's your call to make whether they're worth waiting for or not.

Beka27

Reaction score
I think in your situation, I'd take advantage of this offer! Your current phone is in shambles (do you have insurance on it?) If so, get it replaced. If not, you can upgrade now rather than waiting. If you wait and THEN want to upgrade, they may not be offering this.

And as you say, you don't want to spend extra money on LTE service.