Thunderbolt vs Others - 4G Speed?

geoff5093

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, or if anyone else is having this weird issue. My friend has the Galaxy Nexus with a custom ROM and I have the Thunderbolt running the latest radio and also a custom 2.3 ROM. When we run the speedtest app, he constantly gets better speeds then I do! My thunderbolt will get between 6-10Mbps download and 5-8Mbps upload with pings ranging from 50-100ms, now my friend who is using the same app and has his phone only inches away from mine gets 15-30Mbps download and 6-10Mbps upload, with pings slightly lower, but still between 50-100ms. When 4G first went live I also was getting download speeds in the 20's and 30's, however that was when there was an issue with the speedtest app reporting more then what you are actually getting. Is this an ICS/speedtest issue? Or is the Nexus just that much faster?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the server chosen is the same, one might be testing from a closer server for some reason.

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
Make sure that the server chosen is the same, one might be testing from a closer server for some reason.
Server is the same. We've put the phones side by side, same signal strength, press start test at the same time and his is always much faster, especially on the download side.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its possible that the OS could be a contributing factor, as well as the radio quality, and even down to the radio software, there a quite a few things could affect this.

The TBolt is considerably older than the G Nex as well. If you are looking to get speeds like his, not sure if it'll be possible? I guess just be glad you have 4G lol

rbw62

Reaction score
I have done several speed tests on 4g lte and lately it is a huge disapointment. Down speed 1.5-3, up speed is .05-1. About as fast as a snail.
I do have wifi that gets over 20 down, 6 up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have done several speed tests on 4g lte and lately it is a huge disapointment. Down speed 1.5-3, up speed is .05-1. About as fast as a snail.
I do have wifi that gets over 20 down, 6 up.

Are you sure you are 4G? Cause those are deff not 4G speeds... more like 3G. Can you post a screen shot of that?

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
4G was awesome back when the first rolled it out, it's much slower and a lot less reliable now.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the OP has about average speeds for a TB on 4G. I just ran mine and I got 11 down and 8 up. I'm sure the GN will be faster. Newer, faster processor, running ICS, different radio, etc. I still think the 4G speeds are blazingly fast.
RBW62- There is something wrong with either your phone or the network if your speeds are really that slow.

rbw62

Reaction score
I am sure, I disabled 4 g and ran test on 3g also. Just ran tests, the down speed is better today up to 9.5, but up speed still sucks @ less than 1.

wowings

Reaction score
I have 15 test results from Speedtest all from Richmond, Virginia, except one from Seattle, WA ( incredibly fast at 20 download and 13 upload). It appears there is a lot of variance, but the trend is slower for me in Hampton Roads, VA. The one I just finished was 9.86 down and 6.82 up. Most of the other results were 2-5 points higher.

rbw62

Reaction score
Jkaod, I believe the network is screwed up in Atlanta area. Maybe from so many new users on 4 g it is overwhelming network. Just ran tests this am, Speakeasy reported down speed @ 10, up @ less than 2. Using other tests speed dropped to less than 5 down, less than 1 up. , just ran speakeasy again, 5 down, 1 up.e

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I live in Syracuse, NY. My 4G speeds there are usually between <1Mbps up to maybe 8Mbps. My 4G speeds in Cortland, NY are a little higher most of the time. I've noticed that my boyfriend's Bionic gets higher speed test results in both Syracuse and Cortland. I'm on the 605.5 RUU gingerbread radios (running CM 7.1.1). The 605.9 gingerbread radios didn't work out very well for me.. battery drain and difficulty picking up consistent signals.